Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Salsify? Really?

(13 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Thu 10-Feb-05 17:30:36

The subject says it all, really. We got some in our box the other week. Very annoying to cook (scrub, blanch, peel, cook some more!), and for nothing that special. Ok, yeah, it tastes a bit like oysters. What do oysters taste like? Are vegetarians really craving oysters now, not bacon?

Then again, I just bunged it in a creamy sort of soup with courgettes, as they were left over in the box, too. Are there any salsify fans out there? Any great recipes?

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 17:35:22

motherinferior had some in her box too, she may be around later...

Anchovy Thu 10-Feb-05 17:44:28

I got some in my box some time ago too - never seen it in the shops. We made it into a chicken, mushroom and salsify pie - just the usual way with it all in a white sauce underneath sauce and a pastry top and it was delicious.

(Do you like the way I say "the usual way" - it means DH made it!)

Mirage Thu 10-Feb-05 19:44:27

I grow Scorzanera which is very similar.It is meant to taste of oysters too,but as I 've never eaten oysters,I can't say.

Last time I cooked it,I did it the same as I would roast potatoes & par boiled it 1st,after washing it.Then peeled it & roasted it.To be honest I think it is more trouble than it is worth,but it seems to be impossible to get rid of once you've grown it,so I keep on perservering with it.

I'll try your soup idea next time-that sounds good.

FrenchGirl Thu 10-Feb-05 19:51:47

My grandmother used to make it in a light batter and fried (beignets de salsifi). Only ever had it like that and it was fabulous!!!! Don't have the recipe though, sorry....

COD Thu 10-Feb-05 19:55:29

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Thu 10-Feb-05 19:56:50

Oh yes, we got it too. It's still lurking around, I admit. Bugger, I was hoping when I do cook it it would be rather fantastic. Maybe I'll bung it into a soup (Mr Slater has a nice one with walnuts and coriander) with the artichokes we got this week.

Abel and Cole?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 10-Feb-05 20:16:06

Ooh, MI, you seem to be my food twin - we're Abel and Cole, and Nigel Slater too ... only what book is that soup in? I don't think I've seen it ...

(Then again, my default soup is, fry onion/garlic/those tiny onions, then spices if any, add veg and stock or water or tomatoes, boil, puree, add milk or cream, serve.)

motherinferior Fri 11-Feb-05 08:32:24

Found it here , although I have to say I am somewhat more compelled by the coffee cake.

I'd better go out and get the ginger and coriander now!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 11-Feb-05 10:54:39

That sounds quite good ... as does the coffee cake, which I remember noticing in the paper, but not doing anything about. (Is self-raising flour just normal flour with bicarb in it? I don't want another kind of bloody flour, I have white, brown and strong, surely that's enough!)

What do you do with the fennel? That's the only veg that's really bothering me lately, I can deal with the rest, but fennel just sits there going off until I throw it out ...

motherinferior Fri 11-Feb-05 13:57:25

Stirfry the fennel (I eat meat, so stirfry it with chicken or prawns) or just dribble olive oil and lemon on it and add to/eat as a salad?

Me, I'm stumped by the chicory. And, indeed, have done bog-all about the salsibloodyfry which is still languishing reproachfully in the fridge.

iota Fri 11-Feb-05 13:59:42

Fennel is good in a mix of roasted vegetables

NotQuiteCockney Fri 11-Feb-05 16:42:39

I like salads with chicory, so I just did that. Bunged it in with whatever random veg I had, made a lemony dressing, done.

MIL uses chicory in sandwiches, which also works, particularly with cold meats.

Stirfry or roast fennel sounds good, I'll have to try those ... I just have a recipe with lots of parmesan, and it's a bit much.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the coconuts and kiwis, and I'll be using everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now