Talk

Advanced search

Help me with some different dinners. Sick of having the same things week in, week out !

(29 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Fri 01-Aug-08 16:27:06

OK - here is a list of the kind of dinners we usually have :

Chicken Casserole with Rice
Pork Loin, Sautee Potatoes and Veg
Chicken Curry & Rice
Chilli
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Chicken Pieces, Homemade wedges and salad

You get the gist .... we eat lots of chicken .... DH wont eat veg but me and the girls love it.
Am off to Tesco tonight just by myself, no DD's, which never ever happens so want to take the opportunity to get some different things.

Inspire me !

FoghornLeghorn Fri 01-Aug-08 16:29:44

Salmon, New Pots, Salad and hollondaise sauce is also another regular.

We both love fish and although I'm quite a good cook, will give anything a go, I don't really know what Im doing with any other type of fish. Would love to eat more though

Songbird Fri 01-Aug-08 16:30:40

A fave variation on the rice'n'chicken theme chez songbird is fillets wrapped in foil with loads of spices, soy sauce and olive oil (dh) or water (me - diet!), with rice and veg. I'm a purist and love it with just peas, but we have been known to branch out. Keep coming back to just peas though! It's really yum.

Mercy Fri 01-Aug-08 16:31:50

How about a compromise, for example chicken and veg stir fry? (I prefer the fresh noodles if you can get them)

Do you like eggs, cheese?

Songbird Fri 01-Aug-08 16:31:51

The spicy soy sauce mix is gorgeous drizzled on the rice. Oh God, I'm hungry!

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 16:32:52

Stir fries
Kebabs
Pasta and sour cream and salmon
Satay
Cold roast beef and salad
Spanish omelette
Fried rice

SoupKitchen Fri 01-Aug-08 16:34:05

Kedgeree
Fish pie
risotto( flavour with whatever you have)
Sausages ( casserole/toad in the hole/hotdogs/and mash)
fahitas( less spice for the kids)
Lasagne
shepherds pie
Pie
Soup and salad( basically a bowl of homemade soup and loads of bits and pieces out of the fridge, all help self)

Mercy Fri 01-Aug-08 16:34:06

Fish pie (I do a very simple version)
Cod with parsley sauce

muggglewump Fri 01-Aug-08 16:34:46

Fishcakes
Quiche
Fajitas
Enchiladas
Thai curry
Muchroom/beef stroganof
Kebabs with fish/meat/veg haloumi

I'm a bit stuck in a rut too but I often go and search the BBC site for new ideas

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 01-Aug-08 16:35:09

ham pasta - quick easy and cheap

fry mushrooms in large pan add chopped ham (the sandwhich kind) or bacon add tomato or spicy pepper pasta sauce simmer untill sauce is warm and add cooked pasta.

fajitas? they are yummy we like the ones with the coating. tesco do the old el paco (sp?) dinner kits

FoghornLeghorn Fri 01-Aug-08 16:35:25

Again we love stir fries but I'm not sure I quite master them !

Spanish Omlette is good, as is pasta/salmon.

Pasta and rice are the usual options as DH is a bit of a gym freak so wont go for mash/chips etc

Nagapie Fri 01-Aug-08 16:35:35

Chicken and broccoli
Meatballs
Bobotie
Sweet and sour Pork fillet/chicken

Mercy Fri 01-Aug-08 16:36:12

Haven't had mushroom stroganoff for ages, thanks for the reminder, mugglewump!

FoghornLeghorn Fri 01-Aug-08 16:37:06

Fajitas are a big fave

Soups could be a good idea, although not sure it'd feel like a proper meal IYSWIM.
What about Risotto ? Prawn risotto maybe ?

littlerach Fri 01-Aug-08 16:37:23

Lasagne (veg or meat)

Rissotto (ditto)

Different kinds of curry

Cous cous with roasted veg/chicken/tagine

Frittatta

FoghornLeghorn Fri 01-Aug-08 16:37:56

What is Bobotie ?
DH vetoes pies - not a big pastry fan

These are some great ideas guys

smartiejake Fri 01-Aug-08 16:38:10

DO you like lamb?

Lamb steaks or chops cooked slowly in the oven (about 120 for 1 hour or more) or quickly on the grill with either apple and mint jelly or cranberry.

Serve with roasted garlic roast pots and green veg the dcs also like those ready made yorkshires too.

Or make a sauce with a jar of cranberry, half pint lamb stock and about 4 tablespoons of worcester sauce. Simmer for about 5 mins or until thickened and pour on the lamb (the one cooked with cranberry not apple and mint) DEEEELICIOUS!

Can also do a half leg of lamb like this and roast it.

MatNanPlus Fri 01-Aug-08 16:38:47

Homemade Chicken burgers and meatballs
" " Chicken pie - buy ready made pastry
" " Fajitas and Nachos go down well here
" " Chicken pieces coated in breadcrumbs and grated parmesan

Mercy Fri 01-Aug-08 16:39:31

Stir fry is dead easy (well my version is)

Finely sliced onion, garlic and teeny bit of ginger (maybe a bit of red chilli), veg oil, soya sauce and a tiny bit of sesame oil is all you need imo.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 01-Aug-08 16:39:56

home made burgers? use either steak mince and make plain burgers or use minced pork and add pureed apple or minced turkey and add cranberry sauce.

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 16:43:06

Dahl is great with some brown rice and cucumber raita and very finely chopped onion, tomato and peppers with squeeze of lemon and some cumin.

Poached salmon Soy beans Brown rice Dressing of wasabi,rice vinegar and soy. My lunch nearly every day

Mercy Fri 01-Aug-08 16:45:54

Moondog, I've jsut seen on another thread that you're posting from Dhaka; are you on holiday or is dh working there now?

What's the food like?!

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 16:50:00

Hi Mercy. Am on long holiday (unpaid leave) with dh. Food is great and best thing of all is the housekeeper cooks it!! His chapattis are to die for. Mind you, he's off tonight so have been out for sushi and sashimi. Delicious.

Nagapie Fri 01-Aug-08 16:51:34

Bobotie - baked, curried mince meat dish - mmm

Mercy Fri 01-Aug-08 16:52:20

envy

(sorry Foghorn)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now