Talk

Advanced search

Farmer's markets - do you recommed them?

(14 Posts)
hughjarssss Thu 31-Jul-08 17:49:43

We have one near us but have never been, are they cheaper?

Also, my MIL buys a big sack of spuds from the market and they last ages. I buy a small bag from the supermarket and they are rooting within a week - how come?

cyteen Thu 31-Jul-08 17:57:06

I think farmer's markets can be a mixed bag really. When I lived in Reading there was a brilliant one near us, but even then some stuff was very expensive for what you got and other stuff was well worth it. After having a good nose around the first few times I worked out what was good value, e.g. there was an apple stall that I loved, that sold huge sacks of delicious local apples for about £3. I'm a bit of an apple fiend (how rock'n'roll of me) so that worked out much cheaper and more pleasant than buying supermarket polybags. Meat was also very good from there, good value and good provenance. Then there was the stuff I'd class more as treats, like tasty but pricey locally brewed beer or fresh apple juice.

I'd say it's worth having a look around anyway. No clue about the spuds though, sorry!

expatinscotland Thu 31-Jul-08 17:57:57

The one in Edinburgh is fucking brilliant.

PrimulaVeris Thu 31-Jul-08 18:03:49

Same as Cyteen - farmer's markets and farm shops can vary enormously, and within the actual market as well. Some overpriced rubbish and some excellent quality produce.

Worth going along to prod and see what there is.

solidgoldbrass Thu 31-Jul-08 18:09:31

Go along for a nosey round, definitely. I like to get mince and sausages as they are not that much more expensive than supermarket (ok they are more than value mince and you won't get 8 sausages for 16p like you do in Asda) and they really do taste a lot nicer. Fruit and veg are variable. The stuff that's the most expensive are things like handmade bread and cakes, locally brewed beer and wine, that type of thing (though lovely for treats). THey are good to take DCs to as well as there are usually lots of things to taste.

cyteen Thu 31-Jul-08 18:11:56

Oh yes, the artisan breads...such a rip off, but so delicious blush

hughjarssss Thu 31-Jul-08 18:21:02

Cyteen - Thats the market I'm talking about, spooky!!

Will definatly go and have a look.

Anyone know about the spuds??

GordonTheGopher Thu 31-Jul-08 18:23:55

Which one? I'm in Reading!

hughjarssss Thu 31-Jul-08 18:38:42

I was going to go the one down Gt.Knollys St
Gordon, have you been to that one?

cyteen Thu 31-Jul-08 19:00:31

Ooh, spooky! grin We used to live on Swansea Road, so it was dead handy for us. Nice eggs there too.

GordonTheGopher Thu 31-Jul-08 19:02:25

Ooh no - is that in town? (yes I've been here almost 4 years blush).

I went to a good one out on the A4 in Sheeplands garden centre. Got an amazing shop there too.

hughjarssss Thu 31-Jul-08 19:19:39

Its in town, I'll look out for that one on the A4 Gordon.

Must remember to pick up eggs then Cyteen

GordonTheGopher Thu 31-Jul-08 19:57:03

It's just past Wargrave.

chonky Thu 31-Jul-08 20:17:54

Stroud one is great - very good outside cafe which serves fair trade organic coffee in mugs. Yum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now