Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want to talk about mushrooms...

(49 Posts)
marthamoo Thu 10-Feb-05 09:55:16

I love mushrooms - they are yummy. Dh says they taste like slugs but I have never eaten a slug so I wouldn't know about that. He tolerates them "in" things, as the kids and I love them, but often fishes them out and leaves a small pile on the edge of his plate. Once, when I was mad at him, I made a chicken and mushroom pie with three kinds of mushroom in it.

Anyway, I wash my mushrooms - but I read you are not supposed to do this as it makes them soggy. You are supposed to wipe them. But that doesn't get them clean if they have bits of muck on them. I have met people who peel them. I think they are insane. To misquote Shirley Conran: "Life is too short to peel a mushroom."

My biggest bugbear about mushrooms is when they have marks in them from other peoples' fingernails. I guess this is inevitable when you buy loose mushrooms at the supermarket - people with long nails have not been careful when choosing theirs. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have two boxes of mushrooms with signs on "Mushrooms for people With Short Nails" and "Mushrooms for People with Long Nails." But it really annoys me when I buy pre-packed mushrooms and they have little crescent marks in them from peoples' fingernails. Now I'm sorry - but if you are a mushroom picker and packer by profession than it is incumbent upon you to ensure your nails are short. That's just common sense.

I also eat mushrooms raw - much to dh's horror. For a while pre-packed ones had a note on the box to the effect that they should be cooked before consumption but I ignored that. They haven't killed me yet.

In our last house I grew my own mushrooms in a polystyrene box. It was a kit I bought to grow your own mushrooms. This was very exciting for a city girl like me. They need to be grown in the cool and dark though and this house doesn't have a cellar so, sadly, I can no longer grow my own mushrooms but have to buy finger nail-marked ones from Tesco.

That's all I really want to say about mushrooms. Thanks for listening (well... reading).

Hausfrau Thu 10-Feb-05 09:59:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moondog Thu 10-Feb-05 10:00:08

How odd-never noticed the fingernail marks!

Have you ever collected your own? My family are big into this (as well as stuff like samphire and cockles.)
I used to live in Russia where they are OBSESSED with mushrooms!!
In lots of countries, mushrooms can be taken to the local pharmacy and verified as edible/poisonous.

I'd love to have a go at growing my own.
Whatta girl you sound!!

emmatmg Thu 10-Feb-05 10:00:49

Mmmmmmmm I love them too.

What a fab idea about 2 separate boxes........maybe you should comtact all the supermarkets to see what they think

sobernow Thu 10-Feb-05 10:02:50

emmatmg Thu 10-Feb-05 10:04:42

Oh and I never wash them, just flick/pick any dirt off

Hausfrau Thu 10-Feb-05 10:06:31

emmatmg Thu 10-Feb-05 10:07:58

Mushroom knife?

Mushroom knife?

Didn't even know there was such a thing.....Pah! and I call myself a mushroom lover.

sobernow Thu 10-Feb-05 10:12:39

Bozza Thu 10-Feb-05 10:20:04

Love mushrooms too. I had one of those kits when I was at Uni. Just stuck it under the bed in my room and they grew fine.

Sobernow - whats the issue with close cup mushrooms?

Emma I never wash them either.

tarantula Thu 10-Feb-05 10:20:04

Love mushrooms. Really wanna go on one of these walks where they teach you how to recognise eaters from poisonous ones. the only ones I know at the minute are parasols and they are scrummy. Can say Im over keen on the basic ones in the supermarket tho I prefer chestnut or flat ones. mmmmm fried with garlic and butter.

Hausfrau Thu 10-Feb-05 10:22:10

sobernow Thu 10-Feb-05 10:22:59

Angeliz Thu 10-Feb-05 10:24:46

eargh!
Slimy little funghi!
Not for me i'm afraid.

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 10:30:20

have just bought mushroom ketchup for first time in my life. and so far so good.
as a child i would eat mushroom soup (heinz, obviously, we're talking the 70s) but leave the bits of mushroom on the edge of the bowl. i thank you for listening to my mushroom thoughts...

suzywong Thu 10-Feb-05 10:32:37

you know why you shouldn't eat them raw don't you MM ....because chicken dung is sometimes used as part of the compost in which they are grown
<shudddddder>

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 10:33:41

i thought it was sterile composty stuff. (now this is getting on for the dullest thread ever when we're talking chicken shit )

Snugs Thu 10-Feb-05 10:34:49

Commercially grown mushrooms are grown in sterilised compost (with or without chicken dung ) so are perfectly safe to eat raw.

Wild mushrooms should be cleaned.

emmatmg Thu 10-Feb-05 10:43:24

I've always wondered how mud (ok compost) can be sterile?

Knew mushies grew in it so thats why I don't wash them.

Anyone know how it's sterilised?

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 10:43:47

heat?

joash Thu 10-Feb-05 10:46:50

Did you know that current advice is that you are supposed to remove the stalk and discard it - something to do with the way mushrooms are grown commercially, and something or other being able to penetrate the mushroom stalk once it has been cut or broken.

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 10:47:30

How do they spoil?

Mushrooms are not grown in sterile conditions, although the soil mix is given a form of pasteurisation which prevents growth of many of the microbes which might spoil the final product. A range of fungi, bacteria and viruses are pathogenic to mushrooms. Mushrooms can become contaminated from many sources during production and processing, including the humans harvesting the crop. Bacteria, yeasts and moulds cause most problems. Mushrooms have soft flesh which is easily bruised, helping bacteria such as Pseudomonas species to spread. These cause brown blotches on the caps. Other microbes induce shape distortions. Mushrooms spoil quickly if kept at room temperature for long.
Mushrooms keep best if they are stored free from moisture in cool conditions.

another exciting mushroom fact: they are the highest value crop grown in the UK

(all from here )

suzywong Thu 10-Feb-05 10:48:26

sterile or fertile, would you really want to be putting it in your mouth? Madame

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 11:45:44

what, soil? never did me any harm as a child

suzywong Thu 10-Feb-05 11:49:05

no, chicken by-product

I'm not trying to slag off mushrooms, I love mushrooms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now