Talk

Advanced search

question about dahl if someone can help me . . .

(17 Posts)
lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-08 19:35:37

i wanted to try it but are individual spices expensive to buy??and if so, is there a reasonably priced curry paste or something along those lines i could use instead of all the individual spices??

if not i will leave it until my shopping budget goes up a bit!

tia xx

Sammywhammy Wed 30-Jul-08 21:09:01

really, super easy to make. You can add spices if you wish but you really only need a bit of turmeric to up the colour. Try it with red split lentils (v cheap widely available). You don't even need spices, you can dress up dhal with fried onions, 'attractively scattered' over the top and a fresh green chilli. Your household will be amaaazed. Dhal is sooo good for you, my kids love it with rice - this is real comfort food on one of those rainy days. YUMM!

Habbibu Wed 30-Jul-08 21:10:02

Give us yer recipes, then, Sammy....

tazmosis Wed 30-Jul-08 21:30:34

I just put garlic, ginger and turmeric in then dress as described by Sammy - dead easy and really tasty!

tazmosis Wed 30-Jul-08 21:30:44

I just put garlic, ginger and turmeric in then dress as described by Sammy - dead easy and really tasty!

tazmosis Wed 30-Jul-08 21:30:49

tazmosis Wed 30-Jul-08 21:30:51

tazmosis Wed 30-Jul-08 21:30:51

RuffleTheAnimal Wed 30-Jul-08 21:31:47

oh, i thought you meant roald.
doh

tazmosis Wed 30-Jul-08 21:31:52

Whoops...obviously pressed that too many times...blush

hairtwiddler Wed 30-Jul-08 21:38:58

I reckon a really good daal is made with a spiced butter which you add to the cooked mushed up lentils. I've experimented with low fat versions, but unfortunately they're nowhere near as nice. I also have this on good authority from a Hindu gentleman I know who is very particular about his daal.

My recipe (Nigel Slater) has cumin seeds, onion, garlic, chillies,and coriander. If pressed for cash, would just use dried chillies (according to taste), onion and garlic.

You fry the spices and onion in a fair bit of oil, then turn low until the onions and garlic are deep nutty brown - this can take about half an hour.

Put lentils (I use yellow toovar dal) into pan and just cover with water. Boil and simmer until water absorbed and they are squashable.

Stir spiced oil into lentil mush and add chopped coriander. 'Tis luverly.

Habbibu Wed 30-Jul-08 21:40:27

which nigel slater, ht?

Habbibu Wed 30-Jul-08 21:40:54

ps tell mr ht thanks for info - v. useful.

hairtwiddler Wed 30-Jul-08 21:45:33

The 30min cook.
There's usually a tubful in our freezer for no-cook work nights.
Was slightly confused about what info MrT has offered, but have figured it out now!

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-08 21:50:36

thank-you, all the recipes either offered or ive googled before have had lots of spices in them, will def try it now i have a way around spending a fortune on them for the moment.

lmao@tazmosis, just once or twice would have done the trick, ty wink

will try it this week after all

Habbibu Wed 30-Jul-08 21:57:35

Lucysmam - if there's an Asian or chinese deli/supermarket near you, spices much cheaper there - they come in bags rather than glass jars.

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-08 22:02:25

will have a look whilst in town friday habbibu, ty for the info, never attempted anything foregin or spicy before tht hasn't come from a jar so would like to try if it doesn't work out too costly this week. think there's an asian supermarket so will look in there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now