Talk

Advanced search

Mother and Child?

(10 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 10:09:08

Does anyone have a good recipe for this, the only ones I can find online don't seem quite right.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 13:16:57

anyone?

Carmenere Wed 30-Jul-08 13:17:57

What is it?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 13:28:00

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought I'd explained more in my op.

It's a japanese dish 'oyakodon' , translating bizarrely as 'parent and child rice bowl'.

I made one recently but it was so bland.

OverMyDeadBody Wed 30-Jul-08 13:29:34

japanese food is quite bland though isn't it? Did you use any salt to bring out the flavour?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 13:31:40

''Tanindon (他人丼, Tanindon?), literally "stranger bowl", is otherwise identical but replaces the chicken with beef.''

Oh I love the japanese language!

I made a sauce with brown sugar, soy and chilli (controversial, but I need spice) Maybe just serve it with more sauce next time?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 13:32:22

whoops, those random numbers were japanese characters. I thought it was cool they'd post on mumsnet, but they didn't.

Carmenere Wed 30-Jul-08 13:34:24

I think it is probably down to the dashi stock that you use. But yes Japanese food is quite subtle in general.

OverMyDeadBody Wed 30-Jul-08 13:41:19

yep try using more sauce next time? I'd just drown it in soy sauce, sal and wasabi, but I'm strange.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 30-Jul-08 13:45:15

mmmm wasabi...

I have been known to eat it on ryvitas, with soured cream. How's that for strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now