Talk

Advanced search

Red currants (??) and some sort of gooseberry? What do I do with them?

(12 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 29-Jul-08 12:03:36

I have a lot of red currants, and something that looks like a gooseberry, only red.

Can I just bung them in a smoothie? Or make clafouti? Or what?

mistlethrush Tue 29-Jul-08 12:25:47

Yum. Summer pudding. Or just cook the gooseberries (yes, you can get red gooseberries) unless they are dessert gooseberries in which case, provided they are ripe they will be sweet enough to eat raw. I love redcurrents with natural yoghurt and a little bit of honey - just strigged, but still raw.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 29-Jul-08 12:37:00

How can I tell if they're dessert gooseberries? They're pretty big. They look stripey ...

I don't think I know summer pudding, it's that thing with bread in it? Doesn't tempt too much.

Clafouti is sounding like the right call, I just need to get some eggs ...

OverMyDeadBody Tue 29-Jul-08 12:39:17

eat a gooseberry, then you'll know!

How about a nice sorbet? I made one with blackcurrants the other day but it would work with redcurrants too.

Redcurrant jelly?

gooseberry fool?

Redcurrant muffins are very nice.

OverMyDeadBody Tue 29-Jul-08 12:40:52

How about a Gooseberry Meringue Tart?

OverMyDeadBody Tue 29-Jul-08 12:42:03

Redcurrant Granita

Jux Tue 29-Jul-08 12:45:52

yeah, I thought summer pudding, yum! Or just eat them; my dd would be eating those gooseberries straight off the bush.

Sunshinemummy Tue 29-Jul-08 12:47:38

A crumble or icecream.

mistlethrush Tue 29-Jul-08 13:07:31

Dessert gooseberries - should ripen to a soft stage. Take top and tail off and eat. If you have to spit it out its so sour its either not a dessert gooseberry or its not ripe yet!

Summer pudding is delicious - but you need to make sure that its not too bread-y. Line pudding basin with slices of bread - try for not too much overlap. Fill with stewed fruit and top with another slice of bread - then put a saucer or something similar on top of the slice of bread so that it pushes down and put a weight on this - the pressing forces juice from the stewed fruit into the bread, removes some from the centre, so that you can turn it out - normally leave for at least 4 hours before eating.

janmoomoo Tue 29-Jul-08 13:14:50

I had about a million tons of redcurrants and I have made redcurrant jelly which was very easy from
delia

Also summer pudding is absolutely gorgous. Made a nice one for a party on saturday from delia also. Very easy, make up your own mix of soft fruit, it doesnt matter.

But I think the best thing is to divide them up into little bags then freeze them. Then you can pull out a bag every couple of days thru the winter and have it on your cereal. Yum.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 29-Jul-08 13:16:12

I'm not very tempted by summer pudding tbh. Lots of work for something I don't like that much. I'm foreign, and it just doesn't do it for me. I think clafouti may be the answer.

I'll try eating the gooseberries and see what they are like.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 13:19:56

PIL regularly turn up with baskets of random fruit from their garden - generally I stew everything and worry about what to make with it afterwards. Often we end up just eating it (with cereal or yoghurt or just as it is) thereby relieving the pressure of having to think of anything.
And if I still can't think of anything I freeze it and rediscover it later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now