Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Yeast for a breadmaker

(14 Posts)
missorinoco Mon 28-Jul-08 22:03:02

I am trying to make bread with my breadmaker (inspired by previous threads).

Which yeast do people use? I have tried the Allinson's Dried Active Yeast, without activating it, and that was awful. (The container suggests activating it.)

My instruction book (Russell Hobbs Breadman Classic) suggests using active dry yeast or easy blend dried yeast. Breadmaker, or fast action yeast are for the rapid programme only, apparently.

I can make a nice enough loaf with the rapid programme, but am limited to a basic white loaf, which is probably not as nice as the non rapid version.

Am I missing something?
Suggestions would be gratefully received.

BustyMcGee Mon 28-Jul-08 22:07:56

Doves Farm Quick Yeast from Lakeland never lets you down smile

missorinoco Mon 28-Jul-08 22:10:32

Do you activate it, or just bung it straight in?

BustyMcGee Mon 28-Jul-08 22:12:37

Bung it straight in easy peasy

vitomum Mon 28-Jul-08 22:12:38

i just always use the breadmaker yeast sachets, never occurred to me they may be for rapid programme only

BustyMcGee Mon 28-Jul-08 22:15:18

I use the Doves farm one for both rapid and non-rapid programmes. Non-rapid loaves are better but I figure that's because they get proper time to rise.

missorinoco Mon 28-Jul-08 22:15:24

I only found out after reading the instruction book when all my loaves were heavy. Nout sure if it might be a quirk of the breadmaker; the sachets don't mention it.

Shall try the Doves Farm yeast.

Thankyou.

Blu Mon 28-Jul-08 22:18:21

I use the sachets of dried yeast mostly Allinsons, but have used Hovis, I think - have never noticed any instructions re 'activating'.
I never use the 'rapid bake' option, and make a variety of white, wholewheat and spelt loaves.
How is the bread turning out?

Blu Mon 28-Jul-08 22:19:21

I always mix wholewheat flour with white - otherwise it is very heavy and dense.

Blu Mon 28-Jul-08 22:19:47

And the spelt loaves are dipped in in the middle - but the inside is still lovely.

missorinoco Mon 28-Jul-08 22:51:10

I've tried the Hovis and the Allisons sachets. They turned out a bit like that loaf that killed the duck in About A Boy! (on the normal setting)

blithedance Mon 28-Jul-08 23:06:19

Don't get mixed up! The Dried Yeast that you have to activate (sort of granules, in a round container) is completely the wrong thing for a bread machine, it will never work. You definitely need Rapid acting yeast such as Doves Farm (orange block) or various sachets such as Hovis.

I have made that mistake too, only once.

Blu Tue 29-Jul-08 16:46:31

Are you using freshly opened sachets? Once opened the sachets do have to be kept in the fridge and used quickly.

But my breadmaker is a different make to yours.

You are using strong flour etc, and adding the sugar, aren't you?

Won't work without the sugar.

missorinoco Tue 29-Jul-08 19:32:43

Using strong flour, sugar, etc. No milk/milk powder as advised on a previous thread.
Have only used freshly opened sachets too.

(Mental note not to try dried yeast again!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now