Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give me a totally, utterly, completely foolproof way to boil a bleedin' egg?????

(6 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 28-Jul-08 13:39:03

Lovely eggs, fresh from local chicken's bum a couple of days ago, since been refridgerated. My mum's 'recipe' is to lower into boiling water and boil with lid on for one minute. Then to remove from heat and leave to stand in water for further 5 mins (medium sized eggs). Nasty snotty whites ensue! Boak! My eggs are always from fridge, so....come on all you lovely mn'ers, help me, save me from vomit inducing slimy whites! Firm whites, soft, creamy yolks please.....

MarsLady Mon 28-Jul-08 13:40:18

I pop mine in cold water, bring to the boil and either set the oven timer for 3 mins or count to 180. smile Perfect eggs every time. grin

Carmenere Mon 28-Jul-08 13:40:58

Take them out of the fridge and allow them to come to room temperature before you place them into boiling water, simmer for 4 minutes.

gomez Mon 28-Jul-08 13:42:26

Best wedding present we got...
www.amazon.co.uk/Petra-EA44-Mini-Chicki-Boiler/dp/B00008WFDK

ShePeeTeePee Mon 28-Jul-08 13:46:28

Delia devoted a whole series to this didn't she??

Like Leith's method myself:

Prick rounded end to allow air to escape.
Bring pan of water to boil, then lower to simmer.

Lower egg(s) into simmering water on slotted spoon.

Four and half minutes gives a runny yolk and just-set white.

Six and half minutes give a well-set white and moist but runny yolk. (favourite in my house)

Eight and half minutes give nicely hardboiled egg.

10 and half minutes give a hardboiled and crumbly egg suitable for mashing.

Remove the extra half minute from each timing if cooking from room temperature.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 28-Jul-08 13:57:23

Will give 'em all a whirl. Got really excited about the mini chicki egg boiler only to discover that it's out of stock...and they don't know when they'll be getting anymore, gutted! But i suppose if i can do it without forking out for (very cute) gadget, even better. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now