Talk

Advanced search

OK - So If I make my own Pesto.......

(12 Posts)
PinkPussyCat Mon 28-Jul-08 13:18:54

How long will it keep for in the fridge?

It would be nice to make a large batch but wouldn't want to waste it if it doesn't keep for long.

Cheers

savoycabbage Mon 28-Jul-08 13:20:20

If you pour olive oil over the top to keep the air out it keeps for ages.

mankymummy Mon 28-Jul-08 13:20:38

freeze it instead...

Brangelina Mon 28-Jul-08 13:21:44

Freeze whatever's left over in individual portions (ice cubes or something). It actually freezes better if you have no cheese in it but it's more of a faff if you have to add it alater.

to defrost, just chuck a cube or two on freshly cooked pasta with a drop of the cooking water and let it melt.

PinkPussyCat Mon 28-Jul-08 13:22:08

Never thought of freezing itgrin

What are your best recipes?

MamaG Mon 28-Jul-08 13:22:37

how do you make it?

PinkPussyCat Mon 28-Jul-08 13:24:59

So far have just blitzed basil, olive oil and garlic. (and salt). Not tried with pine nuts or parmesan as yet.

Brangelina Mon 28-Jul-08 13:31:40

You don't need salt, add the Parmesan first, then correct for salt. I've never added any to mine, the cheese has done the trick.

Brangelina Mon 28-Jul-08 13:33:42

You can also make variants, such as pesto trapanese with added olives, almonds instead of pine nuts and pecorino instead of Parmesan, or make a version with walnuts instead of pine nuts. Blitz some dried tomatoes or add tomato paste for a red pesto, etc. etc. etc.....

ELR Mon 28-Jul-08 13:36:04

make sure you put a sqeeze of lemon in it as this will help preserve it would not last in our house to go off

PinkPussyCat Mon 28-Jul-08 13:50:11

Mmmmm...

Yes parmesan is quite salty isn't it? Will try that + see

Like the idea of the red pesto too, thank yousmile

InTheDollshouse Tue 29-Jul-08 10:37:22

You can also substitute parsley or rocket for basil if you want a change. Basil is nicest imo but the others are well worth trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now