Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for using a Rayburn in a holiday cottage?

(5 Posts)
MummyToOneForNow Sun 27-Jul-08 20:46:29

I've just spotted that the cottage we're going to be staying in on holiday from next weekend has a wood-fired Rayburn (plus a combination microwave/grill) for cooking on.

Give the weather at the moment (hot!) we're going to want to run it for the miniumum amount of time. I have never used one before - any tips on how to use it or recipes that we can try (suitable for a largely vegetarian couple (sometimes eat fish) and toddler)? Do you have to light it ages before you want to cook? Think we might need to borrow a microwave cookery book from the library

MummyToOneForNow Sun 27-Jul-08 21:57:34

Have re-read property details and Rayburn isn't wood-fired (that was the stove in the living room which I don't think we'll be using!). Would still like tips on using the Rayburn though...

MummyToOneForNow Tue 29-Jul-08 13:26:24

Any advice? I'm hoping there will be instructions etc but can you pretty much cook things like pasta/rice as normal on the top plates? How do you convert recipes or do you not need to?

Niecie Tue 29-Jul-08 13:29:27

There should be instructions - we've had one a couple of times.

As far as I can remember you have to open vents to heat the oven. Like 'proper' cookers they do seem to vary a bit.

It is just a case of lifting the lid to use the hob though. Fill the pan, put it on, dead simple.

You will be an expert by the end of the week - either that or you will have eaten out a lot!!

Happy holidays.smile

MummyToOneForNow Tue 29-Jul-08 13:54:41

thanks - just panicked slightly when I was looking through the details - might try to find a suitable cookbook in the library to take for ideas just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now