Talk

Advanced search

ideas for snacks my hollow legged 7yo can get himself

(33 Posts)
milknosugar Sun 27-Jul-08 18:07:47

because fruit, bread and yogurt isnt enough for him, he is driving me crazy and i have 5 more weeks of holiday left. happy to make stuff in advance but he is a bit picky (no i havent pandered to him) and wont eat pasta / potato salad type stuff

tia

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 27-Jul-08 18:09:20

Peanut butter or ham sandwiches

Spagblog Sun 27-Jul-08 18:09:32

Homemade pizza slices?

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 18:10:41

Message withdrawn

maidamess Sun 27-Jul-08 18:10:45

crackers and cheese spread (squeezey cheese and ham Primula, the stuff dreams are made of) Bowl of cereal, pop corn.

zookeeper Sun 27-Jul-08 18:10:48

chocolate spread/cheese spread / peanut butter sandwiches? (no healthy eating wawrds in this house)

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 18:10:54

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Sun 27-Jul-08 18:14:10

ds (5) has things like oat cakes, nuts, salt free crisps, dried fruits, banana chips, malt loaf, healthy type biscuit or cake, in a drawer so he can just help himself

WideWebWitch Sun 27-Jul-08 18:15:59

pitta with peanut butter
toast
cold sausages
cheese sandwiches
nuts

lucysmam Sun 27-Jul-08 18:17:10

may be a long shot since you said fruit isn't enough for him but how about fruit smoothies if you made enough for a day in a morning? we've invested in a smoothie maker and use it loads (had a normal blender before n they're just as good imo). tend to find a smoothie quite filling as well. how about some kind of dip with cucumber n carrott sticks or cracker type things? quite like the homemade pizza slices idea, not tried them as such myself, just tend to put stuff on top of cheese on toast but 7yo maybe a bit young for cooking. erm, how about something like those dairylea dunkers type things or crackers with cream cheese? simple sarnies? i'm all out now, never really thought about snacks so much?

FabioThatFirggingCat Sun 27-Jul-08 18:17:13

Can you take him around the supermarket and ask him to pick out stuff he likes and can do himself? What sort of stuff does he like? And does he drink plenty?

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 18:18:41

Message withdrawn

FabioThatFirggingCat Sun 27-Jul-08 18:19:43

catfud

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 18:20:21

Message withdrawn

milknosugar Sun 27-Jul-08 18:20:48

yes he does toast and can do sandwiches. he always wants cheese so i guess i can answer my own question by leaving some chopped up for him. toast alone not enough.

pizza slices he would be mad about, great idea.

cant do ham, it never lasts more then 24 hours no matter how much i buy so unreliable.

squeezy primula vg idea, he will love that.

cold sausages good idea.

sorry, but lol at thought of him eating raw veg. i did say he was picky! doesnt like smoothies (but i do , yum).

have tried taking them round supermarket but they never suggest anything til they get to cakes and biscuits.

dunkers good idea, but might make my own, bit cheaper.

didnt think of crackers, will move them down a cupboard, dh will have to share. choc spread....hmmm, then i would have to share. less keen on that grin

FabioThatFirggingCat Sun 27-Jul-08 18:21:38

You have to buy nice ham.

milknosugar Sun 27-Jul-08 18:23:20

have tried to convinve him catfood is not different to other meat but he doesnt believe it. ds4 is a big cat biscuit fan butno one else is keen

DoubleBluff Sun 27-Jul-08 18:23:39

plain biscuits, like rich tea?
ccubes of chees in the fridge
jubblies in the freezer
bread sticks

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 18:24:28

Message withdrawn

milknosugar Sun 27-Jul-08 18:30:48

salt free crisps sound like a hit.

2 probs with nice ham - 1 - we are veggie so ham means meat free and there are few varieties 2 - if we bought nice food it would go even quicker. stuff that, i spend enough on shopping.

will stock up on rice crispies and leave them in reach.

jubblies? i thought they were part of a ladies anatomy. please enlighten me

right, breadsticks ordered, cereal, extra cheese, sausages, crackers, cheese spread

DoubleBluff Sun 27-Jul-08 18:32:08

triangular frozen lollies, like tip tops but bigger

Califrau Sun 27-Jul-08 18:32:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Sun 27-Jul-08 18:33:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoubleBluff Sun 27-Jul-08 18:34:05

oh forgot babybel
and muller fruit corners
and muller rice pots

charliecat Sun 27-Jul-08 18:45:30

weetabix, bowl of cereal really.
Cheese and crackers
Toast
Pitta and Salad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now