Talk

Advanced search

Wheat cereal - what brand should I buy ?

(11 Posts)
poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:12:42

I have been using the GF Weaning guide. I am a little unsure about what wheat cereal I should buy for my lo. Now 6 months, what wheat cereal should I use. I would like to use organic range, when GF refers to a wheat cereal mixed in with mashed fruit, does anyone know what wheat cereal she is referring to. Help as I am really unsure and don't want to ask my HV as she will think that I am really thick !! Anyone have any ideas.

Laylasmum Tue 08-Feb-05 21:14:21

maybe something like porridge or weetabix. i found them good weaning foods

poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:16:53

So I can buy a normal porridge for my baby, and blend it etc to the right consistency or buy normal weetabix and this would be okay ??

Laylasmum Tue 08-Feb-05 21:20:21

This would be absolutely fine.Don't know much about GF but I assume these would be the wheat type cereals she means!

poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:21:56

I thought it might be, but just wanted extra reassurance, will have a look around to buy some organic cereals that we can have a family and that I can mush down for the baby. Thanks for your help.

Spongebob Tue 08-Feb-05 21:23:19

I have the same problem. Looked at weetabix (for salt content) It says sodium 0.2 or something low like that, then it says salt equivalent 4g....whats "salt equivalent" I wonder.

Laylasmum Tue 08-Feb-05 21:23:27

The normal weetabix can be bought in an organic version and HIPP do some porridge which is organic but not suitable for whole family as quite runny11

poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:25:22

Have looked at Organic Weetabix and not too sure about salt content etc. Will check out if this is a high percentage etc. or not. Will have to find out more information from Weetabix about the contents.

JulieF Tue 08-Feb-05 21:42:08

Weetabix is quite a low salt content for the amount they eat at this stage. I have always used this.

Cornflakes are a lot higher in salt incidentally.

I use any brand of cereal except Nestle.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 08-Feb-05 21:46:30

Oatmeal is always good, with fruit added. If you buy the oatmeal with smaller flakes (health food stores), you don't have to blend it.

Weetabix or equivalent also works, makes a mushy paste.

kikidee Tue 08-Feb-05 21:53:15

I used GF and switched to Weetabix and Readybrek (baby glue) at 6 months. Re salt, my box of Weetabix says 0.15g of salt per biscuit which is not that much, and at first they don't eat a whole biscuit.
Annabel Karmel also has a few good recipes with porridge oats mixed with various fruit and you can make them in a big batch and freeze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now