Talk

Advanced search

Wheat cereal - what brand should I buy ?

(11 Posts)
poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:12:42

I have been using the GF Weaning guide. I am a little unsure about what wheat cereal I should buy for my lo. Now 6 months, what wheat cereal should I use. I would like to use organic range, when GF refers to a wheat cereal mixed in with mashed fruit, does anyone know what wheat cereal she is referring to. Help as I am really unsure and don't want to ask my HV as she will think that I am really thick !! Anyone have any ideas.

Laylasmum Tue 08-Feb-05 21:14:21

maybe something like porridge or weetabix. i found them good weaning foods

poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:16:53

So I can buy a normal porridge for my baby, and blend it etc to the right consistency or buy normal weetabix and this would be okay ??

Laylasmum Tue 08-Feb-05 21:20:21

This would be absolutely fine.Don't know much about GF but I assume these would be the wheat type cereals she means!

poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:21:56

I thought it might be, but just wanted extra reassurance, will have a look around to buy some organic cereals that we can have a family and that I can mush down for the baby. Thanks for your help.

Spongebob Tue 08-Feb-05 21:23:19

I have the same problem. Looked at weetabix (for salt content) It says sodium 0.2 or something low like that, then it says salt equivalent 4g....whats "salt equivalent" I wonder.

Laylasmum Tue 08-Feb-05 21:23:27

The normal weetabix can be bought in an organic version and HIPP do some porridge which is organic but not suitable for whole family as quite runny11

poppy101 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:25:22

Have looked at Organic Weetabix and not too sure about salt content etc. Will check out if this is a high percentage etc. or not. Will have to find out more information from Weetabix about the contents.

JulieF Tue 08-Feb-05 21:42:08

Weetabix is quite a low salt content for the amount they eat at this stage. I have always used this.

Cornflakes are a lot higher in salt incidentally.

I use any brand of cereal except Nestle.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 08-Feb-05 21:46:30

Oatmeal is always good, with fruit added. If you buy the oatmeal with smaller flakes (health food stores), you don't have to blend it.

Weetabix or equivalent also works, makes a mushy paste.

kikidee Tue 08-Feb-05 21:53:15

I used GF and switched to Weetabix and Readybrek (baby glue) at 6 months. Re salt, my box of Weetabix says 0.15g of salt per biscuit which is not that much, and at first they don't eat a whole biscuit.
Annabel Karmel also has a few good recipes with porridge oats mixed with various fruit and you can make them in a big batch and freeze.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: