Talk

Advanced search

How do I get perfect rice from a rice cooker? Help please!

(9 Posts)
flumperoo Sat 26-Jul-08 11:15:07

I've bought a rice cooker but it didn't come with English intructions. I've tried cooking white rice and brown rice. I started off with one part rice to 2 parts water and have tried all sorts of other variations but my rice always come out stuck together. I've tried rinsing the rice plenty of times before cooking, I've tried adding a bit of oil. Adding less water makes the rice hard, adding more water turns it to mush. What am I doing wrong? I'm aiming for it to be nicely seperated and non-sticky. Is there a way? Is the rice cooker just carp??

MatNanPlus Sat 26-Jul-08 12:47:21

Electric or microwave?

Model?

giraffeski Sat 26-Jul-08 12:49:48

Message withdrawn

flumperoo Sat 26-Jul-08 16:09:54

The rice cooker is electric, it's a Sharp KSH 106 and the white rice I've used is Jasmine. Not sure about the borown rice - it just says brown rice.

I can't remember if I tried it without rinsing the rice first, I shall try it smile

MatNanPlus Sat 26-Jul-08 16:15:00

email help form

flumperoo Sat 26-Jul-08 16:26:55

Thank you very much, MatNanPlus!! smile

bran Sat 26-Jul-08 16:47:08

Basmati rice is less sticky than most others IMO, it might also be worth trying American long grain rice (although I'm not so keen on the taste).

I think separate, fluffy grains as an ideal was invented by Western marketing bods trying to sell their 'enhanced' rice products. I prefer it the way it's served in Malaysia (DH's homeland), which is slightly clumpy and sticky.

nocluemum Sat 26-Jul-08 17:58:44

We use basmati rice and dh always washes it first in the sieve but I never bother and dont think it makes any difference. One part rice to one part water although if you are only making enough for 2 of you add a little more water. Couldnt live without it - making rice the normal way seems such a pain now.

flumperoo Sat 26-Jul-08 20:46:01

Thank you for your replies. While I'm waiting for instructions from Sharp, I'll try basmati rice and failing that, I'll just make do with clumpy rice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now