Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyione have water in tomee tipee cup taste badly of plastic?

(17 Posts)
bumbly Fri 25-Jul-08 12:00:07

happenning on a too regular basis now - using those free flow training cups with sipping spout that folds and every time taste water before give it to lo it tastes awful..of melted plastic

anyone else have this????

been giving plastic water to lo - great another thing i have done wrong

but you rely on products to be safe now and look...

MrsBadger Fri 25-Jul-08 12:10:27

it's not dangerous, just not tasty

cooled boiled water always tastes foul IMO - fresh from tap much better.

mamadiva Fri 25-Jul-08 12:14:35

I agree with Badger on this one I used those cups and thought it tasted plasticcy and it was because it was cooled boiled water.

2point4kids Fri 25-Jul-08 12:16:46

Even tap water tastes rank from them.
My DS doesnt seem to notice, but I've got him a mini sigg metal sports bottle now and it tastes much better to me.

Seona1973 Fri 25-Jul-08 14:21:49

you dont need to use cool boiled water for a baby over 6 months though - plain tap water is fine as a drink from then.

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 14:29:35

It's fine , just refill it regularly.

theyoungvisiter Fri 25-Jul-08 14:32:42

I agree they do seem to make the water taste horrid - but I think it's partly the smell of the spout confusing your tastebuds iyswim?

If you sip the water straight from the cup it usually tastes better.

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 14:36:34

and there is no proof they are unsafe. If you are concerned by recent reports use BPA-free ones.

You do seem convinced you do everything wrongly for your lo but having and raising a baby isn't an exam you pass or fail, it is trial and error based on the information available to you at the time. Your anxiety suggests you are a good mum but you need to accept this.

Seona1973 Fri 25-Jul-08 14:43:25

the tommee tippee first cups are BPA free so that wouldnt be a problem.

bumbly Fri 25-Jul-08 18:04:32

quickly adding - haven't read all posts yet - tastes foul even from cup as opposed to spout!

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 18:06:02

sure it's not your water ? tbh any water left to stand can develop a funny taste

bumbly Fri 25-Jul-08 18:06:03

seona are you sure bpa free? website doesn't say!

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 19:25:10

Does this help ? here

bumbly Mon 28-Jul-08 11:11:35

no to really just this VERY STRONG taste is regularly there and aM baffled noone else has same - thanks for posts though

littleducks Mon 28-Jul-08 11:19:18

I have that, dp complains too, i di d wonder if it was to do with putting them in the dishwasher

have been trying to train dd to use a normal cup as the damp patches arent sobad in this weather

busymumofthree Mon 28-Jul-08 13:21:47

I agree - the problem is called Bisphenol A which is to do with the type of plastic used in the manufacturing of the products. I've done some research - it's a hot topic in the US and Australia - and there are a few companies that don't use BPA in their manufacturing. I've tried the steadyco products and they don't taste of plastic or leak or tip over!!!! They have a website www.steadyco.com. We haven't looked back!!

EBenes Mon 28-Jul-08 13:32:32

Great to find out that these cups are BPA free, it's been a big worry of mine for ages, and yes the water does taste very plasticky. I changed to Avent Magic Cups for a bit after reading they were BPA free, but the TT ones are so much neater and easier to wash especially!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now