Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake for three year old, to cater for 15 children.

(3 Posts)
lucyellensmum Fri 25-Jul-08 10:01:03

OK, DDs birthday party on Sunday - we have already had her birthday and we made a little cake together, just with butter cream icing on top. Was thinking of doing Marslady's lemon drizzle cake without the drizzle and then decorating. Not sure it will stand up to fondant icing though??

Actually i haven't a clue - HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP im a cake decorating virgin.

I don't want to end up getting a cake from Tesco as they are vile so really want to make one.

petunia Fri 25-Jul-08 22:47:13

Whenever I have to do birthday or Christmas cakes (DH hates all that dried fruit in Trad. Christmas cakes), I do this all-in-one cake.

8 oz self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
8 oz soft marg
8 oz sugar

Preheat oven 325F/160C/gas 3
Sift flour and baking powder into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and beat with electric mixer. Test that mixture drops off spoon when tapped on edge of bowl. If not, add 1-2 tsps milk and beat again. Pour into prepared tins (I usually use a baking tray, greased and dusted with flour) and bake for 30-35 minutes.

For DDs 9th birthday cake earlier this month, I added chocolate chips, cut it into a 9 shape and decorated using butter cream. It does cope well with shop-bought fondant too but I often reduce the amount of sugar by an oz or so- I don't like over-sweet cakes!

stirlingmum Sat 26-Jul-08 10:39:19

I have just had my eldest dd's 7th birthday party and I made the cake by making up a normal victoria sponge recipe and instead of baking in 2 round tins I baked it all in one rectangle brownie tin. Then I did the same again and made a 2nd rectangle. Then I spread jam on first sponge and put 2nd sponge on top and covered it all with a chocolate icing.

I was actually impressed and it would have easily fed more than 20.

I can get exact amounts if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now