Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS will eat veg but not meat/fish/cheese etc... Any ideas on how to hide it in meals or get a 3yr old to try it...

(4 Posts)
zipzap Thu 24-Jul-08 23:22:27

There seems to be lots of recipes around to hide vegetables in sauces or other ways to present them to entice toddlers to eat them.

I don't have too much of a problem with that - there's still a way to go but I can get DS to eat quite a few veg, salad things and fruit.

BUT - he just doesn't seem to like to eat protein-y things. He used to be really good at trying all sorts of new foods, liked everything from curry to spag bog to roasts and beyond. But he was poorly, lost his appetite and it never really came back. This has been going on for way too long - over a year blush - I've tried asking the HV and GP but neither seemed overly concerned and just said to keep trying and he will eat it eventually. So was wondering if the massed mummy brains of mumsnet had any useful ideas that I could try (the sitting and waiting not being very effective).

He occasionally will eat a bit of cheese or ham but even that seems to be less and less. I have tried talking to him but not really got very far.

He does drink his milk (although wouldn't have it on a cereal - has to be a drink!) so at least I know he is getting some protein and I do give him vitamin drops. He also seems to be thriving, growing well physically and mentally which is why I guess the HV and GP weren't particularly bothered.

So - does anybody have any ideas of things I could do to hide/present/magic protein into something a fussy 3 yr old will eat!

(he used to love to eat baked beans and corn on the cob which I figured would also supply some protein - which he now refuses)

I've also tried the bribery reward chart route with little success - unfortunately he seems to be immune to it hmm.

Thanks!

UnderRated Fri 25-Jul-08 03:25:28

Why make him eat fish, eggs and meat if he doesn't want to?

Other good sources of protein, that he may or may not like include:

Pulses - Peas, Beans and Lentils, including hummus etc.

Nuts - almonds, walnuts, peanut butter (or other nut butter – I think almond butter is meant to be lower fat and more nutritious but I may be wrong)

Seeds - sunflower seeds, tahini

Soy Milk - DS (2.10) will only eat & drink soymilk - he won't touch cow's milk.

Cereals & Grains: Wholemeal Pasta, Brown Rice, Oats, Wholemeal Bread, etc)

Tofu - I have a friend who makes macaroni cheese with hidden tofu

If you are worried about calcium, these are a good source: broccoli, kale, tofu, figs, tahini, & fortified orange juice and soy milk

lucysmam Fri 25-Jul-08 08:55:21

if he likes eggs, cook scrambled eggs or an omelette with some cheese in them. instead of making a meal just leave some nibbles lying around for him to try like chunks of cheese & ham & salad. he might just try some when youre not looking maybe.

not sure if that helps at all, ive never been in that situation so not much help probably

dinkystinky Fri 25-Jul-08 09:54:37

pizza is a miracle food - all toddlers seem to love bread base and I find DS (quite a picky eater, but a lover of cheese) will eat anything I put on top of it quite happily (ham, pineapple, etc.) - may be worth a try.

Have you tried pasta with a cheese and spinach based sauce or macaroni cheese? DS loves pasta but not a great fan of chicken/ham/lamb so I tend to do bolognese sauce or a cheese sauce with diced chicken or ham in it with his pasta and he'll eat that then.

Eggs are also a great source of protein - spanish omelette is great (lots of veg in there and you can sneak some cheese on top)? Or you could try boiled egg with soldiers (he might like the dipping motion - DS never has but all his toddler friends seem to love it)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now