Talk

Advanced search

what to do with a tin of salmon???

(18 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 20:12:05

I have a tin of salmon sat in the back of my cupboard thats been there a month or 2, anyone got any suggestions what i could do with it to make it a bit interesting and into a meal for 2 grown ups and a lo?

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 24-Jul-08 20:13:02

Mashed slightly, make a white sauce, add steamed broccoli, mix together, top with mashed potato and cheese and bake in the oven until brown

HumphreySmallPillow Thu 24-Jul-08 20:14:15

salmon fishcakes

cafebistro Thu 24-Jul-08 20:15:23

Throw it in the bin! Tinned fish makes me feel sick...wink

georgimama Thu 24-Jul-08 20:16:07

I second fish pie, yum yum

wuld humbly suggest some minted frozen peas instead of the broccoli though.

lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 20:29:55

cafebistro, wouldnt have bought it but had no freezer for a while now and thought it would come in handy in the cupboard but i was wrong so rather than waste it wanted to do something nice with it, or at least feed all 3 of us with it!!

how about peas and broccoli?? have a head (is that what you call them?) of broccoli and some peas that both want using.
humphrey, my lo doesn't like fish cakes for some reason but thats the 1st thought that crossed my mind! dont know why she doesn't as imo they're same as fish fingers which she loves!

forevercleaning Thu 24-Jul-08 20:32:02

open it? lol

lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 20:33:22

lol forever cleaning, thank you! i meant after opening though . . . hmm

love the name btw, know that feeling!

forevercleaning Thu 24-Jul-08 20:34:43

thanks, not that i ever do much cleaning, i am always on here!

cafebistro Thu 24-Jul-08 20:35:31

Sorry lucysmam didnt mean to offend. just my MIL buys tinned salmon when she comes to stay with us....so you can understand my aversion! grin

Donk Thu 24-Jul-08 20:35:50

Salmon Souffle

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 24-Jul-08 20:36:28

thai fishcakes hmmm lovely

lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 20:38:28

no probs cafebistro, not offended at all, i wouldnt normally buy it either but couldnt think of any emergency food in case we were really stuck so got that and a few other bits. Just not sure what to do with it now i've sussed how to get through 2 weeks without buying anything for freezer apart from odd bits for mil to store for me.

salmon souffle?? um, i've started being a bit adventurous in the kitchen Donk but not sure im that confident just yet!

lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 20:39:43

thai fishcakes sound tasty greyskull, how would i do them? not sure lo would eat them but could always get her something else for one night (usually she eats with us)

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 24-Jul-08 20:41:36

substitute white fish with tinned salmon

lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 20:47:35

cheers greyskull, might be what i was hoping for. sounds interesting <fingers crossed i dont blow the kitchen up whilst experimenting againwink>

UniversallyChallenged Thu 24-Jul-08 20:54:06

I make salmon lasagne - sounds odd but it gorgeous if i say so myself grin use all the same ingredients as with mince but use the salmon instead

lucysmam Thu 24-Jul-08 21:10:02

salmon lasagne does sound very odd but i like lasagne so might be worth a go. do u cook it the same way? i brown mince and onion then add other ingredients, tomatoes and stock and cook for an hour and a half or so. do you do the same with salmon? surely its a bit more flakey (right word?) than mince?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now