Talk

Advanced search

On the hunt for BIG Quiche-mongers!

(9 Posts)
PinkPussyCat Thu 24-Jul-08 12:39:36

I have a large quiche/flan dish which seems rather large (unused thus farblush) It is 28cms across.

I am sure there must be some MNers out there who have a penchant for the larger quiche...

I have never made any sort of quiche before and need to know how much pastry for this size of dish, do you bake it blind first etc etc

TIA!smile

PinkPussyCat Thu 24-Jul-08 13:01:42

<teeny bump>

Kewcumber Thu 24-Jul-08 13:02:23

I'd freecycle it grin

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 13:06:17

Going by Delia's guidelines for a 20 cm tin , adding half again, I'd make the pastry with:
6 oz plain flour,
1 1/2 oz lard
1 1/2 oz butter or margarine
a big pinch salt
cold water to mix.

You need to bake it blind for 15 minutes at 180 C, then take it out, brush with egg yolk, and bake for five minutes more. Then you're ready to add the filling.

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 13:07:35

What sort of filling takes your fancy?

I can highly recommend mushroom and onion. Or there is the classic Lorraine... SIL does a great spinach quiche. So many options.

ComeOVeneer Thu 24-Jul-08 13:07:46

8oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
salt
4oz butter, plus extra for greasing

Bake blind with baking beads for 20mins

PinkPussyCat Thu 24-Jul-08 13:13:01

shock Kew!
But I am on the road to Domestic Goddess-hood with this surely?grin

Thank you Cies, I wouldn't have been brave enough to up the quantities of an existing recipe... Sounds good! Mushrooms + onions were exactly what I was thinking of!

COV! <hijacks own thread> Remember I was making/icing a Ruby Wedding cake? Just to say it all went really well (thanks to yours + iMum's advice!) I must post a pic sometime....

PinkPussyCat Thu 24-Jul-08 14:56:40

SO - I have done the pastry (went with COV's as it had the greater quantities, didn't want to be short)

BUT

In the absence of proper ceramic baking beans/beads would dry cannellini beans do the same job?

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 15:30:26

yes, I should think so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now