Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake guidance needed for novice - DD2 would love a blue one - ?

(8 Posts)
franch Thu 24-Jul-08 11:39:30

I'm fine at baking the actual cake - have done plenty of those - but have never gone in for fancy decorating - usually just a bit of butter cream or a nice chocolate ganache, topped with some (bought) marzipan animals or sugar flowers.

But a blue cake - ? Would I need to use roll-out icing? If so where do you get it and how do you use it? Does it require skill?

I was thinking about hiring a number 3-shaped tin, but would obviously only do that if the icing isn't going to require any dexterity.

I need ideas that are minimum effort and low stress for a clumsy, uncreative novice, but of course give wonderfully impressive results smile

MrsBadger Thu 24-Jul-08 11:49:44

use paste colouring to colour buttercream and smear it on a 3-shaped cake - no dexterity required.

franch Thu 24-Jul-08 12:00:55

That sounds do-able - it would give a sort of 'textured' finish rather than a smooth one, wouldn't it? Which is fine.

Where do you get paste colouring? Normal supermarket shelves?

MrsBadger Thu 24-Jul-08 12:05:40

you migth be lucky in a big supermarket but otherwise you'd need a cake decorating shop - or try online eg here - you often get stung for high postage though so shop around

outlining the edges of the cake in co-ordinating sweets (dolly mixtures are good) can look very smart at v low effort

MrsBadger Thu 24-Jul-08 12:06:34

(NB paste colouring also works well for glacé icing if you'd rather have a smooth glossy finish)

franch Thu 24-Jul-08 12:17:50

This is all so helpful MrsB, thanks. Will def do the sweets.

Never done glacé icing before (except maybe on biscuits or fairy cakes) - how foolproof is it on a big, odd-shaped cake?

MrsBadger Thu 24-Jul-08 12:24:26

dead easy, v similar to ganache technique

sieve the icing sugar really well
don't make it too runny
(also good idea to make more than you think you need - use any spare up on fairy cakes or plain biscuits eg rich teas)
stand cake on cooling rack over tray or on final presentation board protected with strips of foil / greaseproof
pour icing lavishly over cake making sure enough drips down sides to cover them. Assist with spatula if necc (same as chocolate ganache technique)
leave till set
remove foil/greaseproof or transfer carefully to board

franch Thu 24-Jul-08 12:28:15

Ooh I've got choices now ... will have a think and maybe a couple of trial runs.

Many thanks MrsB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now