Talk

Advanced search

Sunday lunch for 7 adults and 4 kids - anyone got any ideas?

(10 Posts)
claudiaschiffer Thu 24-Jul-08 03:43:37

I usually to a bbq or a big stew but am a bit bored of stew and it's a bit cold here to do a bbq so anyone got any good ideas?

Ideally I could prepare it or some of it before hand, the kids are young - 5 and under so can do sausages or something for them.

It doesn't have to be swanky and impressive, just a group of old chums getting together. But would like to do something 'nice'. smile

eidsvold Thu 24-Jul-08 03:58:30

I was going to say BBQ.

What about Pizza and pasta.

Yummy garlic bread
herb bread

Make up a variety of toppings ready to go - the kids can make their own!!

I have an easy base recipe.

eidsvold Thu 24-Jul-08 03:59:22

something for the kids

Big pot of soup and crusty bread for adults with apple pie and something for afters.

claudiaschiffer Thu 24-Jul-08 05:06:49

Thanks eidsvold, I like the idea of a big Italian style lunch.

Cold meats - olives - herby/garlic bread, pasta. hmmmmmmmmm yum.

eidsvold Thu 24-Jul-08 07:06:08

I can post a recipe - you can prepare the dough before and depending on the age of the kids - they can make their own.

We use ham, cheese, tomato paste. dd2 is 3 and able to do her own - she loves it.

They paint the paste on then sprinkle the ham and cheese.

lizziemun Thu 24-Jul-08 07:12:00

What about a selection of cold meats and salads with nice bread.

Hulababy Thu 24-Jul-08 08:18:10

Chilli - make it in advance and then warm up nearer the time; always tastes better on second heating too. Serve with grated cheese and sour cream, and lots of crusty bread.

I make my chilli roughly as follows - to make it really nice and tasty:

* brown mince
* add spices: half teaspoons of ground cinnamon, ground cumin and ground coriander; add 3 crushed cardamon pods
* add tin of mixed beans (nicer than just using kidney beans)
* add big glug or two of sweet chilli sauce
* stir in pack of passatta
* add some extra chilli (fresh of dried) if you like it spicier
* simmer for 20-30 minutes or so

pickledparsnips Thu 24-Jul-08 09:49:19

do a variation of a roast dinner...roast meat and potatoes (garlic and rosemary roasts are nice) with variety of salads

desert do fresh fruit salad...pineapple melon and strawberry with passion fruit over the top good! Meringues and icecream or a chocolate dip

claudiaschiffer Thu 24-Jul-08 10:31:12

Thank you all, some lovely ideas . . . am now undecided between a huge roast and an Italian pasta/pizza/cold meats etc spread - will make the chili tomorrow. I lurve chili.

Am looking forward to it now. smile

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 12:18:30

The thing with pizza for so many people is oven space.

Have you got enough oven trays/racks to bake the pizzas at the same time? Or will you be running back and forth to the oven during the meal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now