Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We need to start eating proper dinners, what are you're regular meals that youo have most weeks?

(15 Posts)
HughJasss Wed 23-Jul-08 18:16:05

Me and dp normally have bits of this and that. Not really proper dinners. I normally batch cook Anabel Karmel recipes for dd and reheat it for her.

But dd is 9 months now and needs to be eating what we are having. I also think me and dp need to get into a proper dinner at a regular time.

So to everybody that has regular dinners, what to do cook and how many different meals do you cook regulary?
Do you do the same meals over and over again, is it the same week in, week out?

davidtennantsmistress Wed 23-Jul-08 18:19:57

different meals tbh but variations ie.

beef stew/soup
cottage pie
spag bolg
curry
roast
salads
jacket pots
chese/pot pie
chicken pies
lasagne,
steamed fish
bangers/mash

our dinner when DS got to about 8 months was 5pm sharp otherwise XH & I were not eating till about 8pm, which is a bit late I feel. worked for us at the time

Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 18:24:44

Lasagne
Pesto Pasta
Sheperds Pie
Pizza & salad
Jacket pots
Cous cous lamb thingy
Mushroom risotto
Steak & salad
Roast
Fish Pie
Toad in the hole
Stir Fry

We alternate between all of the above

lilolilmanchester Wed 23-Jul-08 18:25:28

We always have a roast dinner on a Sunday. Chicken every other week, then alternate with pork/lamb/beef.
We buy a bigger joint/chicken than we need and use the leftover meat as basis for another meal during the week.
Then usually: one mince meal (spag bol/chilli/lasagne/meatloaf/shepherd's pie/moussaka/home made burgers); one pasta meal if not had lasagne/spag bol - e.g. using bacon/prawns/tuna and either a cream or tomato sauce; one chicken meal to either use up leftovers (risotto/chicken wraps/chicken curry; or if from scratch, tandoori chicken/chicken & rice/chicken casserole; one fish meal (e.g. fish pie or cheat and have fish in breadcrumbs from the freezer).
Sometimes pizza - if I have time I like to make from scratch but usually have frozen pizzas as a stand-by. Have started just getting margharitas and adding our own toppings. In summer, we might have a salad, in winter I make stews. Our butcher makes excellent sausages so occasionally have toad in the hole or sausages with cauli cheese. Hope that helps.

FrayedKnot Wed 23-Jul-08 18:32:49

We tend to alternate mostly between

Stir Fry with salmon or cashew nuts
Lasagne - meat or veg
Moussaka - meat or lentil base
Pasta with veg & sauce
Something curryish (usually dhal, veg curry & naan or rice)
Salmon with new pots & veg / salad
Stews / casseroles (esp in winter)
Fish Pie
Shepherd's Pie (meat or lentil based)
Sausage & mash with veg
Roast
Cold meat, jacket potatoes & salad
Risotto

We eat about 6pm with DS (4.5)

FluffyMummy123 Wed 23-Jul-08 18:33:17

Message withdrawn

HughJasss Wed 23-Jul-08 19:07:37

Well obviously I can think of meals but only the same old ones: chlli, curry, lasagne, spag bol.
Wanted new ideas and wondered if people regulary cooked like mum where friday was fish day and so on.

Lord

woodstock3 Sat 26-Jul-08 21:24:42

i think you mean need some meal ideas for when too knackered to think what to have for bloody dinner?
some weeks i have inspiration, or really want to cook and eat nice things, and some i dont.
when i dont i just try and think of one thing in each of seven categories: one roast, one pasta thing, one fish dish, one veggie dish, one slow cook meat dish to make loads of and freeze, (eg a casserole, tagine, curry, somethign mince related); one fairly quick meat dish for nights when you dont have much time (eg chicken stirfry), and one blindingly easy thing for dh to make himself without burning down the kitchen while im working late.
that gets you through a week with some variety and
most of those are fairly easily shareable with ds (eg the veggie thing might be tortilla which he will eat, he will have leftover cold roast chicken the day after, he will eat anything stewlike).
there is a book out now about leftovers which might also help, forgot the name but the essential idea is you cook a big thing one night like a roast, the next two nights are made out of its leftovers, then the next night is something easy and seasonal, then the next night is something you can make double of and freeze like a stew.
and cant remember what you do after that.dial a pizza probably grin

bergentulip Sat 26-Jul-08 21:35:09

Fish steamed in foil, with slice of lemon, slice onion, herbs and butter. Simple and quick and healthy. Can also do a mini child portion and steam that piece with whatever they'll like.

Sausage casserole is very easy and very cheap- lots of beans and (a bit of wine) and any old decent sausages. Perhaps some puy lentils in it.... carrots, courgette, that sort of thing.

mince with peas, flavoured with cumin/coriander and lemon, served with rice.

bergentulip Sat 26-Jul-08 21:37:26

ooh, and a quick kiddie option, and what I did for DS1 this evening is use tortilla wraps for pizza bases.
I managed to get spinach, mushrooms and cannelini beans into him tonight by hiding it in the passata and cheese

QuintessentialShadows Sat 26-Jul-08 21:56:30

This is what we would eat:

-Whole roasted and home marinaded chicken with veg and rice
-Spaghetti bolognese
-Left over Spaghetti bolognese sause spread over pizza base, added sweetcorn, pineapple, and grated cheese
-chicken drumstick marinaded with M&S sweet chilli or coconut & coriander 5 minute marinade, cous cous/rice and veg or salad
-Thai Chicken curry (sometimes I use salmon instead of chicken) and sticky rice
-sausage caserolle
-meatballs with mashed potatoes and veg
-Cod fillet with peas and potatoes and a salad
-Hoi Sin Duck (from tescos in a kit, we love it, and the kids love the duck)
-Pork chops, potatoes and veg
-Roast Lamb shank, potatoes and veg
-Fresh tuna steak with couscous and a salad
-Pancakes grin
-Rice Porridge
-Salmon panfried in a creme fraice sause

I am sure there is more. Must be more.

eidsvold Sat 26-Jul-08 22:16:44

we have home made pizza - fri night treat

lasagne
curry
crepes with various fillings
salmon and vege pie
a pasta dish
mushroom rissotto
steak and veges

LuXander Sat 26-Jul-08 22:54:08

Lots of our meals already up here, but DS 11yrs and DD 15 months both love spinach and ricotta canneloni/lasagne. Even my ex, who is normally a real carnivore, loves it!

AnotherFineMess Sat 26-Jul-08 23:11:58

Lots of the above/below, plus

fajitas/enchiladas
fishfinger sarnies (on doorstep white crusty bread)
mussels in tomato or cream-based sauce
cheese and beans on brown toast (with salad cream wink)
prawn linguine
corned beef hash

plus3 Mon 28-Jul-08 09:19:09

some of our variations from the usual mince fest are:
sticky salmon (Annabel Karmel)with rice or noodles
Lamb leg steaks with new potatoes and green beens
Quesadillias
Bacon & Courgette pasta (feed your family for £5) has become a big favourite!
Home made pizza esp. with courgette

Hopes this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now