Talk

Advanced search

what can i make with these......

(16 Posts)
sweetmonkey Tue 22-Jul-08 15:25:02

Hi

After months of being ill, and weeks of being up the hospital every night visiting my nan i am craving veg and proper food

I am fed up of being tired and run down so last night bought the following:

potatoes, cabbage, sprouts, carrots, brocolli (please no comments on how my bum must sound grin )

i had them with some gravy last night and really enjoyed them but are then any other meals i can make using them. my mind feels scrambled so cannot think of the lovely things i have made in the past so would like some new ideas

in the cupboard i have tins of tomatoes, sweetcorn etc

I'm not a big meat eater so a plate of veg is fine to me

any ideas welcome to save my brain from overload

thanks

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 15:29:34

bubble and squeak - yum

sweetmonkey Tue 22-Jul-08 15:31:48

is that healthy though?

And this is going to sound really silly but how is the best way to make it.

when i did it before it tended to just burn in the pan even though i was moving it around

i usually love cooking but what with various illnesses and hospital visits each night ive lost my cooking mojo

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 15:34:17

I just mix up leftover mash and cabbage then chuck into a frying pan (no fat, but use a non stick pan). Don't cook on too high a heat but you're supposed to get brown bits, they're the tasty bits

sweetmonkey Tue 22-Jul-08 15:36:25

i might try that later. i'm wanting healthy but comforting food at the min lol

Cies Tue 22-Jul-08 15:43:41

A big stir fry of veg? You could scatter some sesame seeds on top if you want.

witchandchips Tue 22-Jul-08 15:44:31

Baked potatoes
OR
boiled potatoes with butter + mint
with
coleslaw (use yoghurt or vinagrette if wanting to be v. healthy)
and
brocoli+sprouts lightly cooked and then tossed with pancetta + garlic + shili

witchandchips Tue 22-Jul-08 15:45:07

chilli not shili blush

Seeline Tue 22-Jul-08 15:45:36

How about a sort of ratatouille with the tinned tomatoes and all the veg thrown in? Great with pasta.

OverMyDeadBody Tue 22-Jul-08 15:50:22

[[ Moroccan veg tagine]] with a few more ingredients, although I would leave out the broccoli and sprouts.

You can make a nice stir-fry with chopped up sprouts, shredded cabbage and shredded carrot, with lots of garlic and ginger and soy sauce, served with rice or noodles?

With that combination of ingredients though I'd probably just do what you did and eat platefuls of steamed veg with gravy.

OverMyDeadBody Tue 22-Jul-08 15:50:49

oh poo blush

moroccan veg tagine here

witchandchips Tue 22-Jul-08 15:51:16

veg gratinee (layer veg (things like potatoes + carrots cooked, rest raw) in cassarole dish with white sauce. Season each layer with nutmeg + salt + pepper Top with grated cheese + breadcrumbs and put in over till brown + crispy

sweetmonkey Tue 22-Jul-08 16:01:36

what is the best way to make white sauce?

i knew i could rely on you all for fab ideas smile

sweetmonkey Tue 22-Jul-08 16:03:48

could i make a veggie lasagne with my ingredients? ive only ever made beef ones

witchandchips Tue 22-Jul-08 16:10:02

veggie lasagne wouldn't work very well imo (flavour of veg is not strong enough to go with the pasta)

white sauce

put some milk onto heat
meanwhile melt large slice of butter (2 oz or more) in pan. When melted a few spoons of seived white flour. Stir. Mixture should be stiff but not dry. Take off heat + slowly stir in hot milk until mixture is thin (like milk). Put back on heat + bring to the boil slowly stirring all the time. It should soon thicken nicely. Season to taste.

sweetmonkey Tue 22-Jul-08 16:11:13

ooo thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now