Talk

Advanced search

Is my child the only one in the world that doesn't like pasta???

(21 Posts)
Karathraceandherspecialdestiny Mon 21-Jul-08 12:49:43

She has just turned two. I have just realised how much I cook pasta dishes (home made pesto, river cafe style stuff too not tomato sauce out of a jar!!) and I love them. So often have to cook dd a separate meal which is a bore. Any type of pasta accompanied by any sauce is rejected (spoon in mouth - pained look on face - mouth open -tongue out- food dribbles down bib). It's so annoying! I mean pasta is fairly bland in itself isn't it? The texture can't be that grotesque. The only thing she'll eat is spag bol cut to tiny pieces in a food processor.

Her preferred diet is narrow as it is anyway at the moments <sigh> all of my friends' toddlers seem to love pasta. envy

LadySanders Mon 21-Jul-08 12:51:40

my ds1 aged 7 is horrified by pasta, gets all wide eyed about the fact that people actually CHOOSE to eat it. very annoying as is so easy to cook....

bogie Mon 21-Jul-08 12:51:58

ds heaves when he has pasta he is 2 aswell I think its just the texture.
Dp won't eat pasta just because he is fussy.
So I very rarely get to eat it and I love it sad

MegBusset Mon 21-Jul-08 12:52:50

DS won't eat it either (17mo). It's a right pain. Luckily he likes rice so has various types of risotto most days!

Seona1973 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:54:11

ds (21 months) only eats pasta if we are out for lunch/dinner and we order it for his big sister!! He will tolerate spaghetti bolognese but only a small amount - he much prefers the garlic bread that gets served with it.

unknownrebelbang Mon 21-Jul-08 12:54:32

DS1 (13) doesn't like pasta, although DS2 and DS3 do.

I don't like pasta either.

littlerach Mon 21-Jul-08 12:54:57

Dd1 wouldn't eat pasta until she was 5.

And then it was only spaghetti and lasagne.

Now she loves it!

sakurarose39 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:55:58

Mine too! DS aged 9 just hates it all - spaghetti, short pasta, lasgna....sigh. And the rest of us LOVE it - my DH was obviously Italian in another life (and on another continent LOL), and he cooks the BEST spaghetti.
I just think "How can anyone NOT like pasta - what's not to like?" Tis v. annoying....

PuppyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-08 12:56:16

I am 41 and can't stand pasta. It isn't compulsory to like it!

filthymindedvixen Mon 21-Jul-08 12:56:49

nope. my 7 year old will not let it pass his lips in any shape or form
He will not touch potatoes or rice either....he eats a lot of bread isntead.

PuppyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-08 12:57:17

To answer why, it IS the texture. It makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. Too chewy.

Karathraceandherspecialdestiny Mon 21-Jul-08 13:01:11

So nice (sorry) to see others in the same boat. At least it seems that some kids grow out of it. To agree with those who have mooted it, it must be the texture as the taste is so inoffensive.

megbusset - thanksfully my dd likes risotto too. Only dp doesn't much so similar problem! As an aside question, do you freeze and recook risottos? I do but I know you have to be v careful when it comes to reheating rice.

Seona1973 Mon 21-Jul-08 13:04:51

yes I freeze and re-cook risotto. The problem is when rice is left at room temperature for too long so as long as you cool and freeze it as soon as possible then you will be fine.

MegBusset Mon 21-Jul-08 13:07:50

Yep, what Seona says. Cool/freeze as quickly as possible and make sure you heat to piping hot when reheating it.

StealthPolarBear Mon 21-Jul-08 13:09:43

My DS doesn't like pasta or cheese
I live on pasta and cheese and my comfort meal is plain pasta with grated cheese
PuppyMonkey, I used to get on with you, now I see we have unsurmountable differences

Botbot Mon 21-Jul-08 13:15:02

DD will eat spaghetti (likes sucking it up) but will not touch any other shape of pasta. To the point of having a tantrum when you present her with it. It's quite wearing.

Botbot Mon 21-Jul-08 13:15:44

BTW, my dd has just turned 2 too.

Hulababy Mon 21-Jul-08 13:16:58

My friend's DS, who is now nearly 7y, also doesn't like pasta

unknownrebelbang Mon 21-Jul-08 13:23:10

It is the texture I don't like.

FMV, you could be describing DS1, although he will eat some potatoes.

I dislike rice too.

PuppyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-08 13:44:08

Stealth - I can just about manage lasagne if that's any help... grin But only if I scrape all the meaty stuff off... quite a hassle really. Prefer shepherd's pie....

filthymindedvixen Tue 22-Jul-08 15:38:38

URB - it's so frustrating as he is always hungry...and as his brother adores rice/pasta (even wholemeal) and pots it makes cooking for them a buggerance.
I'm probably the only mum who would love her child to eat more chips (any chips) as eating out is a bind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now