Talk

Advanced search

Did you ever wonder what happens to the Tesco Delivery items that you send back?

(18 Posts)
Flibbertyjibbet Mon 21-Jul-08 11:26:23

No wonder Tesco prices are high.

Sils bf is a delivery driver for Tesco online shopping. Items which customers send back (I am assuming the substitute items that you don't want), he takes home with him.

He says there are no checks on what is returned. So Tesco must just write off returned goods as waste!

Whilst I admit its a good perk for sil's family, are tesco just writing off the cost off all returned goods as waste? In which case its pushing up their overheads and then Tesco pass those increased costs on to the rest of their customers, whilst doing all this 'price cutting' advertising.

Just another reason to keep doing the shopping at Netto Lidl and Aldi.

Any mners work at Tesco who can tell me if this driver is right to take the goods home - or is he just stealing? (Which also pushes everyone elses costs up).

SoupDragon Mon 21-Jul-08 11:28:33

I wonder if there are H&S issues about reselling food items which have been off the premises.

Cappuccino Mon 21-Jul-08 11:30:47

all shops have to write off a proportion of their stuff as it is actually stolen, and that is reflected in the cost

also if you swan around with something out of a fridge and then think you don't want it and stick it back in the wrong place, they have to throw it as they don't know how long it has been out of the fridge

people drop eggs or leave stuff at the checkouts

I suspect it all works out the same

Elmosgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 11:35:01

I don't think all delivery drivers do this my step-dad is one and he certainly doesn't bring home everyone elses unwanted stuff. I would imagine he returns it to the store.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 21-Jul-08 11:35:38

Hmm Ok,
it was just that they were bragging about the full roast dinner they were going home to curtesy of people returning goods wink

in fact they went on and on far too much about all the free food they get and how she hardly has to go shopping...

And as most of the returns are a more expensive item than the one the customer ordered they are living like kings while the rest of us are menu-planning on mumsnet!

Wouldn't you have been a bit pissed off?

If Tesco stopped subsituting goods or just made more effort to put in the item someone actually ordered, reduce the returns and reduce their overheads... <<sigh>> [perfect world emoticon]

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 21-Jul-08 11:37:35

Thought so Elmosgirl smile

They didn't even bring us a packet of broken biscuits angry but took some of my home made cakes home with them as they 'weren't stopping for tea' !!

Just super-scroungers really.

MrsTittleMouse Mon 21-Jul-08 11:38:21

I don't do delvery shopping, but friends who do tell me that normally the customer gets to keep the stuff that is delivered by accident. So it sounds as though SIL's BF is ripping off the people that he delivers to. hmm

PeachyBAHons Mon 21-Jul-08 11:42:26

ours takes our stuff off with him

but knowing how much my friend dh got paid by them, I wouldn't mind payng a tiny bit more for him to get the perks. Except he didn't, he was honest.

freshprincess Mon 21-Jul-08 11:43:17

If the drivers don't take it back to the shop then how do they know to refund you for the stuff you don't want. Surely somebody checks it?

Sim43 Mon 21-Jul-08 11:44:15

You don't tend to find things that have been delivered by accident until the driver has long gone, not unless you are superfast at unpacking your shopping! The only things I sent back are substitutions, when I have ordered something and it was not in stock and they send something else instead. Most of the time it is acceptable, but some are laughable. These are usually listed at the top of the sheet and pointed out by the driver. I always ring up if I return something as once the driver said he would mark it back returned and never did. A quick phone call makes sure I get refunded. I always ring up if something is missing, but never if I get something by mistake! [blush} naughty I know, but I bet they would tell me to keep them anyway.

StealthPolarBear Mon 21-Jul-08 11:45:18

TBH I don't have too much of a problem with this. It's probably more cost effective than handling it any other way. Surely there must be a price limit though - oh the customer didn't want these bottles of expensive whisky?

Sim43 Mon 21-Jul-08 11:45:26

I meant blush

katz Mon 21-Jul-08 11:46:09

sounds like he is stealing it.

he should be returning it to the store, they should then decide what happens to it.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 21-Jul-08 11:49:39

Thats what I thought freshprincess, but he woffled on about how they can see on the computer thingy that items have been returned but somehow they don't actually check the items back in. Or maybe he is just assuming that they don't check it back in and one day they'll wonder where the £.5million worth of goods has gone to off his roundgrin

We thought he was changing his attitudes - before he got this job he was claiming incapacity for his 'bad back' while working cash in hand as a plasterers mate. Now he gets a job but is still intent on getting as much as he can for nothing.

Sorry to moan!

But mil and fil just gave them £6k worth of their 3 year old car, cos oh its such a shame they have no money.... she crashed the last one they gave her! Turn up at ours yesterday in their new FREE car and go on about all the FREE food they get as well. They parked it next to my 13 year old car too, just to rub it in I suspect angry

Argh I need to get some work done and stop festering over that pair of srcoungers.

LobstersLass Mon 21-Jul-08 11:49:42

It could be more than just substitute items.

If you've ordered something, then decide you don't want it when it turns up - you can say so and they take it away and you get the money refunded.

My delivery driver told me this last month. I was surprised, but he told me it happens a lot.

Surely it must go back to the store, otherwise would they know they customer didn't accept it and a refund was necessary?!?

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 21-Jul-08 11:52:45

shock Sim43 do you think the customers don't get their refunds!! He reckons he delivers to a posh area but can anyone be posh enough to never check their bills?

katz you are tempting me to give Tesco a phone call... but it would be a bit obvious 24 hours after they were bragging about it confiding in us.

Thanks for the replies ladies it helped to let off steam I will get some paid work done now!

katz Mon 21-Jul-08 11:57:28

occasionally our driver will say 'oh just keep, it all goes in the bin when i get back, we can't re-sell it'. but i'm sure that your sil's bf is doing is stealing,

i seem to recall a scam a few years back where someone was working for a high end retailer and was marking clothes down as damaged, which we then sent for destroying but in fact they were nicking the clothes and selling them on. sure they got jailed for it.

Sim43 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:33:01

I know I didn't get my refund once. It did not appear on my bank statement so I rang them and they did not know about it. So I always ring them if something does not turn up or I send something back, even if the driver says he will tell them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now