Talk

Advanced search

Teaching kids to cook - ideas please

(10 Posts)
LIZS Sun 20-Jul-08 12:37:47

I'm thinking it is about time ds (10) expanded his repertoire from toast and pizza toppings ! Simple ideas I can share with him please, bearing in mind he doesn't like egg, baked beans or cheese.

KatyMac Sun 20-Jul-08 12:40:40

I make a tomato base which can be used in lots of ways

I fry up onion, pepper, garlic, corriander (plus mushroom, corgette, anything I have in)

Then I either
add to mince & have bolagnaise (or lasagne)
Stir into pasta
add some much & blitz to make soup
Use as a pizza topping
Put into a toastie
Add mince & kidney beans & chilli

It's a good base for learning more

KatyMac Sun 20-Jul-08 12:41:08

Forgot to add tinned tomatos blush

Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 20-Jul-08 13:02:59

Sausage, mash & peas

Stir fry with noodles

Biscuits / cakes / fresh fruit salad

Baked chicken breasts with lemon etc (mix fresh lemon juice and olive oil on a plate and coat each breast with the stuff and then wrap in a foil parcel and bake for 30 mins at 180 degrees). serve with salad

LIZS Sun 20-Jul-08 14:20:36

ooh some good ideas here. We've got friends coming to stay in a few weeks time so it would be good to prepare some food in advance of that.

Madlentileater Sun 20-Jul-08 14:22:01

there's a great book called easy peasy. No dinosaur shaped food.

SueW Sun 20-Jul-08 14:30:30

Have a look at Sam Stern

Not just great simple food but also made by a teenage boy!

I quite like Cooking Up A Storm - my mum bought it for my nephew.

At Easter, DD (11) and her friend planned, shopped for and cooked a three course meal which I was very impressed by. Most important though - teach him to wash pots! Teachers I know who accompany kids on camping trips say they can usually manage to cook some simple food but have no idea about washing up afterwards!

pofaced Sun 20-Jul-08 14:32:35

Go to the library and take out Sam Stern's first cookery book: basically he's a teenage jamie Oliver type and good recipes. Usborne kids cookery book with red rim aroun the cover is brilliant: nutritious and easy recipes (vegtable chilli, cous cous salad, creamy chicken curry as well as profiteroles, crumbles etc): well worth buying!

pickledparsnips Tue 22-Jul-08 10:50:33

this is an excellent kids cookery book and we frequently have some of the meals from in here cooked by dd's!

LIZS Tue 22-Jul-08 19:52:50

thanks for the ideas - will have to visit the library . Tonight we made Lasagne

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now