Talk

Advanced search

Fennel

(5 Posts)
jellyjelly Sun 20-Jul-08 12:01:00

I have three fennels i have never cooked with them so really dont know what to do with them, what flavours they work well with/not with and how to prepare.

We like spicy stuff/non spicy/salads and we have other veg to go with it but no wine/alcho recipes as we dont drink.

Can anyone help a fennel virgin?

artichokes Sun 20-Jul-08 12:04:25

This Jamie Oliver recipe is lovely. Its fish, cous cous and fennel (with other stuff). We use mackeral as it is much cheaper than Omega-3. It is one of the nicest dishes ever and very easy to make.

suzywong Sun 20-Jul-08 12:08:42

Braise it with orange juice:
remove two outer pieces, cut off top and bottom and slice it into rings.
Put a teacup of water in a pan, squeeze in the juice of half an orange, a good dash of olive oil, salt and pepper and the fennel/ Put the lid on and the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
Have a taste to see if you like it, not everyone does. You will be able to judge what else you could put with it according to your palate.
Use it as an accompanying vegetable in the manner of cabbage or green beans.

Celery Sun 20-Jul-08 12:09:38

I like to to just drizzle in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven. Cut them into quarters first. a very simple vegetable side dish.

Celery Sun 20-Jul-08 12:10:56

They have a distinctive aniseed flavour, which is milder when they are cooked. I like them sliced and added to salads too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now