Talk

Advanced search

Can you really be "addicted" to coffee? And if so, how do you come off it?

(5 Posts)
nkf Sun 20-Jul-08 11:25:03

It sounds silly when there are so many worse things out there but I'm a bit concerned (that really does sound silly) about my coffee drinking. Can you be addicted to it?

naturelover Sun 20-Jul-08 11:32:16

In my experience you can definitely become a bit dependent on it as a pick-me-up in the mornings. If you stop cold turkey after heavy consumption then you will probably feel like crap for 48 hours (headaches, mainly) but it will pass out of your system and you will no longer be in "withdrawal". If I drink, say, one cup at the same time each day, then no problem, but if I skip it I get a headache, which is my body saying it expects/needs the caffeine.

Heavy consumers of coffee can definitely have some physical symptoms (palpitations, poor sleep) in my experience. Do you have a reason to suspect you are drinking too much? I don't think it's particularly harmful but if you're pregnant or TTC I think it can be a good idea to cut down.

NotDoingTheHousework Sun 20-Jul-08 11:32:30

Message withdrawn

nkf Sun 20-Jul-08 11:35:46

I suffer from insomnia. And I feel that I crave the stuff. I must have a cup first thing. I drink at least two befoe the school run and then one when I get back. I don't drink it in the afternoon. I drink it strong.

I'm worried about three things:
- the insomnia
- the fact I get headaches if I don't have coffee
- and a sort of jitteriness. Hard to explain but I often feel quite edgy.

lazaroulovesleggings Sun 20-Jul-08 11:41:53

I think so. A few years ago I drank coffee all the time and it gave me the squits really badly. It doesn't anymore, but I also get that jitteriness and my asthma gets a bit worse. I won't stop drinking it though, it's far too lovely. Same goes for tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now