Talk

Advanced search

how do you separate meat juices from the fat???

(18 Posts)
tb Sun 01-Jan-12 12:16:34

DH (a chemist) has another method:

Line a sieve with kitchen paper, and then rinse through some cold water to dampen the paper.

Put the sieve over a jug, and pour the meat juices through the sieve into a jug. The fat stays on the paper, and the fat-free juices go through the damp paper into the jug. grin

whojamaflip Fri 30-Dec-11 18:55:45

Thanks smile

BlackandGold Fri 30-Dec-11 16:29:34

Here you are - Lakeland Plastics (as was!)

www.lakeland.co.uk/5034/Gravy-Skimmer

whojamaflip Fri 30-Dec-11 15:29:46

Hi sorry to hijack but can anyone tell me where I can buy one of the jug thingies? Been looking for ages but no luck. tia

mrbluebird Fri 30-Dec-11 15:13:12

I have just turned down the temperature on a large piece of boned leg of pork. I never thought and put olive oil in the meat to start and when it was cooking for the first hour at a high temp', but have now removed the oil by the bulb method, and it always works. I then spread 250 gms of duck fat on the top of the meat which is not cooking on as low a heat as I can get on my gas stove. Hopefully I will have some wonderful spreadable fat and juices!
Sorry, but I can't recall what the name of this mixture is, when you finish the meat and let the fats go solid and under the top layer of fat will be a gorgeous layer of meat juices. Should last me for a week!

Take care and all the best to all in the new 2012 year.

mrbluebird Fri 30-Dec-11 15:06:39

Never heard of this putting ice in the fat but it sounds good.

mrbluebird Fri 30-Dec-11 15:05:13

I have done this, putting the jug in the fridge works well.

lucysmam Sun 20-Jul-08 20:43:05

fab thanks DontNeedAnything, i let the juices settle in my funny little jug thingy then just tipped um into my bisto n hey presto it worked!! am still stuffed now though and was thinking about pud but couldn't possibly

DontNeedAnything Sun 20-Jul-08 19:59:08

well?????

lucysmam Sun 20-Jul-08 13:46:40

brill, thanks, have washed out my little jug thingy to give it a go. might give the ice cubes a go next time though as sounds quicker but havent got any at the mo

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 20-Jul-08 12:17:13

ice cubes do work, just pop a few in roasting tin, then you can just scoop out with a sppon as fat sticks to the ice.

ZacharyQuack Sun 20-Jul-08 12:02:02

I tip the pan at an angle and use a bulb baster to hoover up the juice from under the layer of fat.

candyfluff Sun 20-Jul-08 11:56:46

i put my jug into the freezer while the meat is resting making it easier to skim off the fat.

turtle23 Sun 20-Jul-08 09:32:10

Haven't ever tried it, but remember someone saying that putting ice cubes in works...fat attracted to the ice? I use one of those jug thingys.

DontNeedAnything Sun 20-Jul-08 09:25:19

You just need to goive the juices a few minutes (not sure how many - while you rest teh chicken I suppose) to settle in hte jug before you start pouring the juices off.

You should see the layer of fat come tot eh top and then you are set to go smile

lucysmam Sun 20-Jul-08 09:18:23

ooooh, i have one of those lurking in cupboard but never ever used it. thanks DontNeedAnything smile

DontNeedAnything Sun 20-Jul-08 09:14:29

You need to let them settle for a bit in a jug.

You can buy special jugs. If you let the juices settle for a little while the fat seperates to teh top. The jugs have a spout right at the bottom so the juices stay in hte jug.

Alternatively you can skim the fat off with a spoon.

If you had more time you cann let them set and the fat should set a bit like lard and you can easily get it off.

lucysmam Sun 20-Jul-08 09:08:57

im making a roast chicken dinner for the 1st time in ages and wanted to try using the juices in the gravy but dont know how you separate the juices from fat, does anyone have any tips or suggestions i could try this afternoon?

thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »