Talk

Advanced search

In the spirit of reducing food waste - what can I do with 1 and a half apples?

(17 Posts)
tigana Sat 19-Jul-08 18:49:00

Both partially munched by ds then abandoned. hmm
I have plain flour, butter, brown sugar.
um
maybe an egg or 2
cocoa powder
golden syrup

giddykipper Sat 19-Jul-08 18:50:25

A teeny tiny crumble?

How many people to feed?

posieflump Sat 19-Jul-08 18:51:23

stewed apple and custard
a very small apple crumble

or do those require cooking apples (can't remember)

tigana Sat 19-Jul-08 18:52:50

Just me and ds tonight so teeny tiny crumble would be fine!

Am totally useless about just throwing in a handful of this and a cup of that, so how much flour, butter & sugar for enough crumble for 1 1/2 apples <<cringes at own inadequacy>>
not sure i have teeny tiny oven proof dish....

flamingtoaster Sat 19-Jul-08 18:53:07

Chop apples, add sultanas if you have any. Put in greased dish. Mix up a sponge mixture and top with that.

ranting Sat 19-Jul-08 18:53:14

Make pancakes and then fry the sliced apples in a pan in butter to go with.

SoupDragon Sat 19-Jul-08 18:53:54

Just eat them?

tigana Sat 19-Jul-08 18:54:55

I knew someone would tell me to just eat them!! grin

SoupDragon Sat 19-Jul-08 18:55:02

Slice them really really thinly and bake in a v low oven on a greaseproof paper covered baking tray. voila, apple crisps.

flamingtoaster Sat 19-Jul-08 18:55:04

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rhubarbcrumble_11396.shtml

will give you the proportions - i.e. 4 oz butter, 4 oz sugar, 7 oz flour - that's for 4 so just halve it.

Quite small apple pie, or apple crumble. Could add dried fruit, mincemeat etc to bulk the filling up if it looks paltry after stewing the apples.

Or, (if you have any baking powder to transform your plain flour into self raising flour) make apple buns:

rub butter into flour, add sugar, chop apples up finely (peel if you like but I don't and it's fine) and add to mix. Bind with an egg, or some milk to thickish sticky mixture so it's like rock buns. Drop in big dollops on greased baking tray, sprinkle with extra brown sugr for crunchy finish, bake at about 180 until golden.

And you can add dried fruit, a splash of orange juice, cinnamon, mixed spice or whatever to that one, too.

tigana Sat 19-Jul-08 18:58:56

I may have some SR flour in back of cupboard <<hopeful>> but not much...

Califrau Sat 19-Jul-08 19:01:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pointydog Sat 19-Jul-08 19:06:14

eat them. why bother with a palaver

kookiegoddess Mon 21-Jul-08 19:28:54

apple muffins for freezer?

apple sauce to go with yogurt - pud for tmw for yr little ones?

Apple pancakes for brekkie tmw?

That weird muesli that Jamie O makes where you grate apples into all the oaty stuff and leave it overnight...?

Lucifera Tue 22-Jul-08 16:38:08

grated apple in muesli is nice!
or peel, core and slice apples thickly, saute in butter till soft, add a large spoonful of brown sugar and a sprinkling of cinnamon. V good with half a croissant or slice brioche loaf, toasted, and a scoop of vanilla icecream or some Greek yoghurt, creme fraiche etc.
before anyone asks, no I never have croissants or brioche loaf hanging around ... but maybe OP does.

RubyRioja Tue 22-Jul-08 16:38:47

feed them to guinae pigs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now