Talk

Advanced search

This is probably been done already-sainsburys basics are they any good?

(26 Posts)
jimblejambles Fri 18-Jul-08 19:38:47

just wondered if anyone knows if the range is any good and if there is anything to avoid?

eekamoose Fri 18-Jul-08 19:46:46

I have bought some fruit and veg (not worried about odd shaped strawbs or mismatched bananas) rubber gloves, sanitary towels, toilet cleaner. I think the loo roll and kitchen towel is a false economy because you just use more of it.

Wouldn't do basics fresh food (like chicken or meat or cheese or ready meals, for instance, or anything processed actually).

LackaDAISYcal Fri 18-Jul-08 19:47:29

the fruit and veg is fine.
salmon fillets (farm assured) are lovely
we buy the prawns for making prawn mayo sarnie filling for DS's packed lunch.
tinned tomatoes, kidney beans are staples here
lamb chops, only difference is they are just different sizes and shapes. Perfectly fine in a stew or casserole.
chicken bits are fine, if you don't normally buy free range
butter fine, if a bit salty for my liking
We tried the basics ground coffee and DH said it was no worse that anything you get own brand.

I would avoid the breakfast cereals though
We tried the fruit and fobre and it was like cardboard, although the weetabix type is fine.

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Fri 18-Jul-08 19:48:25

bake beans ok.
frozen ready meals, for dh lunch, yuck apparently.

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Fri 18-Jul-08 19:48:45

in fact love their basic bake beans, really juicy

oi Fri 18-Jul-08 19:50:45

yes their tinned tomatoes and kidney beans are good. I can't tell the difference between those and the normal ones. And things like their basics sweets and biscuits (for the kids wink) are absolutely fine.

don't know about the meat because I'm a bit squeamish about funny meat but their salmon trimmings I put in the kids sandwiches and dh seems to eat them without complaining.

we sometimes get their basics fruit and veg and it's absolutely 100% fine.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 18-Jul-08 19:54:23

I buy Sainsbury's Basics (prices where I can remember them):

chocolate covered digestive biscuit bars (£1.11)
milk chocolate covered caramel wafer bars
ground coffee (£1.26)
mixed savoury snacks (12 packs for 49p!)
shower gel (10p)
courgettes
strawberries
clingfilm
tinned tomatoes (19p)
lasagne sheets
tinned sweetcorn
tinned kidney beans

They are all fine. The only thing I wouldn't buy again was the tinned tuna - it was like pink slurry and I didn't even give it to the cat.

CaptainKarvol Fri 18-Jul-08 19:56:18

Fresh mushrooms fine, tinned tomatoes indistinguishable from the expensive ones. No idea about anything else, though I am having a go at trying more 'basics' things each week...

GrinningGorilla Fri 18-Jul-08 19:58:15

I wouldnt buy the basics strawbwerry/choc whips. They are jam packed full of E numbers and made my dd1 as high as a kite!!!
(Shame - they are only 8p a packet)

PInkyminkyohnooo Fri 18-Jul-08 20:27:07

the class 2 fruit and veg is good.

The frozen white fish fillets are great for fish pie etc.
The tinned toms are good, and the kidney beans, as others have said.
I tend not to buy the yogs, puddings etc as they have a few too many ingredients for my liking.
FRozen peas and sweetcorn are good.
Cartons of juice are fine, too.
chocolate digestives are good
I don't buy much ready made stuff anyway, as we have a very tight budget.

OrmIrian Fri 18-Jul-08 20:29:06

Seems OK. The odd thing I've tried..

Tortilla chips for 18p a packet are nice. Lightly salted and pretty much as a tortilla chip should be.

BasementBear Fri 18-Jul-08 20:44:19

Dried pasta is fine
Cornflakes good - especially if you are only using them to make chocolate crispy cakes grin
tinned tomatoes and beans good
Smoked salmon trimmings are good for salmon and cream cheese sarnies - loads cheaper than posh smoked salmon. Also good for putting in pasta dishes cos they are already in little bits.
Not sure if you are only talking food, but I always buy their loo roll and kitchen roll cos we always seem to get through so much. Only buy the posh stuff when the inlaws come grin

Don't shop there normally but popped in the other day for a few bits and was quite impressed with their fruit slab cake (about £1.09, says it serves 10) light and moist with a sprinkling of juicy raisins. My dp said their basic pot noodles are good, too.

TooTiredToday Sat 19-Jul-08 04:19:51

I like tortilla chips, long life pure apple/ orange juice, choc buttons, frozen yorkshires 55p for 15, tissues, wrapping foil (use it for grill pan - it's fine), tinned tomatoes, bacon (for cooking).

PiusIX Sun 20-Jul-08 18:39:58

Following are all fine

Tinned tomatoes
Kitchen paper
Garlic bread
Biscuits
Weetabix
Cornflakes
Courgettes

Can't tell the difference between those and so-called "premium" brands (except the Weetabix are...er..square)

These should be avoided though

Tinned tuna
Peanut butter

LackaDAISYcal Sun 20-Jul-08 20:01:20

i was in there earlier and noticed that the shelves with the basics stuff were pretty low on stock; looks like everyone is starting to feel the pinch. They were completely out of one or two of the basics stuff I normally buy as well.

moocowmrs Sun 20-Jul-08 20:03:51

Got a agree don't buy the basic tuna, !! not very nice at all !! in fact looked worse then tinned cat food !!

moocowmrs Sun 20-Jul-08 20:05:28

Ohh meant to add DS drinks gallons of the apple juice and doesn't seem to notice any diff between that and the other brands

woodstock3 Mon 21-Jul-08 22:11:07

am buying more and more of it and mostly fine - in fact the basics pears i buy for preference, as they are smaller and therefore the perfect child size. the basics bananas are fair trade too which is good.
but wouldnt buy the basics binbags (too thin and tore - saved the foxes a job i suppose....) or the basics stock cubes, which are fairly disgusting

multitasker Mon 21-Jul-08 22:13:16

Mostly stick to the non food basics lines and they are adequate.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 22:17:42

As others have said, tinned toms and kidney beans are fine. We've also started getting more basics fruit & veg, especially things like apples which we seem to get thro really quickly.

Wouldn't go near basics meat but then I'm ultra picky and we buy free-range/organic and just buy less. Currently down to 1 meat purchase a week as it's jsut so expensive.

We've always used the loo roll and find it perfectly serviceable, but then I grew up in a house of cheap loo roll and never got used to the posh stuff wink

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 22:18:47

Oh yes, and fruit juice on the rationale that if you're buying apple juice from concentrate it's all much of a muchness.... And it doesn't have that irritating plastic tab thing ont he top.

hellsbells76 Mon 21-Jul-08 22:22:54

don't touch the frozen mince in a bag. it is beyond minging. the fresh stuff is fine, use it once a week for lasagne/chilli/spag bol. the salami and ham are good enough for sandwiches and chucking on top of pizza, and we get through a lot of the tinned tomatoes/kidney beans. it's a surprisingly ok range all in all.

OverMyDeadBody Mon 21-Jul-08 22:25:30

their basics muisli is good as a base, I add other dried fruit to it.

The basics peanut butter and honey are also fine.

Other stuff I use is the same as other posters have already mentioned.

OverMyDeadBody Mon 21-Jul-08 22:27:00

the garlic bread is fine too

and the biscuits are ust like any others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now