Talk

Advanced search

Veggies and Vegans, please come and talk to me !

(16 Posts)
puffylovett Fri 18-Jul-08 16:57:49

we barely eat any meat over here, not much dairy (apart from in DP's sandwiches every day), but we eat lots of fish.

DS is 16 months.

I'm interested in maybe going fully veggie or possibly at a later stage vegan but not sure what I should be on the look out for in terms of DS's diet as in what nutrients other than calcium & B12 do I need to be careful about. He is still bfed.

i would also like to know realistically how hard it is to cut out animal products, especially when you have a wee one to look after.

And last but not least, any ideas where I can go for interesting recipes !!

TIA smile

UnderRated Fri 18-Jul-08 19:32:57

Here is my list of what DS (2.10) and I eat. All veggie, some vegan:

Omelet
Frittata
Quiche

Veggie Bake
Grilled Portobellos w/ roast toms & ricotta on sourdough
Onion & Olive Pissaladiere
Onion & Goat’s cheese tarts
Tomato & Tapenade Tarts
Sweet potato & chick pea curry
Baked spuds
Potato & Onion Tortilla
Spicy Roasted Veg
Veggie/ Allotment Pie
Chunky Veg Chili
Leek and Potato Gratin
Paneer, peas and potato curry
Cauli Cheese
Baked Figs with Stilton
Stuffed Peppers
Stewed Okra w/ tomatoes
Baba Ganoush
Aubergine Parmegiana
Aubergine & tomato gratin
Aubergine in cheese sauce
Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini, and Chickpea Wraps
Perciatelli with Roasted Tomatoes and Eggplant

Black Bean Burgers
Mushroom veggie burgers
Carrot Lentil burgers

Pumpkin, Walnut & Blue Cheese Gnocchi
Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna
Roast pumpkin and mushroom lasagna
Goats Cheese and Pesto Cannelloni
Lentil Lasagna
Tortellini
Ravioli
Pesto
Tagliatelle w/ Veg ribbons
Spaghetti w/ asparagus and lemon sauce
Macaroni Cheese
Cannelloni
Spaghetti w/ fontina & Kale
Conciglie con broccoli

Risotto
Rainbow Rice
Mushroom Stroganoff
Dahl & rice

Red Beans and Rice
Chermoula Chickpea burgers
Chick Pea Burgers
Tuscan beans w/ tomatoes and sage
Adzuki Bean Stew
Parsley & butterbean stew
Black-eyed peas (w. rice)
Homemade baked beans
2 or 3 bean salad

Crunchy Lentil Loaf
Cheese & Lentil Loaf
Lentil Stew
Lentil Shepherds Pie
Spiced Lentils
Lentil Chili

Quinoa tabbouleh
Quinoa w/ avocado and mango
Jeweled Quinoa
Lemon-scented quinoa (w/ tahini dressing)
Quinoa in coconut milk
Veg fried quinoa
Couscous with spicy chickpeas & veg

Spinach, Goats Cheese & Pepper Quesadilla
Pizza
Cheese & onion pie
Leek & onion tart
Spanakopita
Vegetable Tart
Toasties

Burritos
Quesadillas
Mexican Lasagna (black beans, salsa, pasta)
Mexican Lasagna with tortillas (refried beans, sour cream, spicy veg)
Fajitas

Soup
Veg Soup
Barley & Veg sop
Tomato & Lentil
Onion
Winter squash (Roast pumpkin/ Butternut & onion)
Cream of watercress & stilton
Mushroom
Spicy Carrot
Pea and bacon soup
Borscht
Carrot and sweet potato
Pumpkin & Red Pepper
Tortellini Soup (w/ escarole/ spinach)
Tomato Veg soup
Split pea and ham

Salads
Pasta w/ green beans & mushrooms
Potato
Greens w/ warm bacon & eggs
Nicoise
Beetroot & mint
Fried Halloumi & grape
Tomato, Bean & fried Basil
Watermelon & Feta

janeite Fri 18-Jul-08 19:36:16

Where do you find your recipes UR? Parsley and butterbean stew sounds interesting.

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 19:36:29

It is very easy to cut out animal products with a little one, with a bit of foreward planning.

Ok, not vegan, but DS was veggie for the first three years of his life, and apart from the occasional bit of chicken or fish we still mainly live off veggie food.

UnderRated's list is pretty consise really.

Just remember, lots of variety, lots of different things, and you will have yourself a balanced diet for your whole family.

suwoo Fri 18-Jul-08 19:37:05

Good god, underrated, I need some of your recipes. Are any of them online or printable/postable <<cheeky>>. You will be an inspiration to puffylovet!

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 19:37:51

lots of good recipes in the veggie section of MN recipe section too.

gothicmama Fri 18-Jul-08 19:37:58

underrated I want your cook book! your menu is som much more inspiring than ours is.

UnderRated Fri 18-Jul-08 19:54:37

I've collected recipes over the years, OMB and when I got stuck in a food rut, I went through all my cookbooks and made a list of the things we liked to it. Now I trawl the internet when I can't sleep and if I find something good and it gets eaten, I add it. Even with this list, I still find myself cooking the same things over and over again. And since DS learnt how to make egg mayo sandwiches, that seems to have become a staple grin

If you let me know which recipes you want, I can post them but it might take me a few days. Some are just chop it up & chuck it in type meals though.

I bet you can google lots of them too.

UnderRated Fri 18-Jul-08 19:55:10

Parsley, butterbean and cherry tom stew

1 tbs oil
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 piece ginger
20 cherry toms, halved
½ tsp sugar
2x 14o cans butter beans
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
ground pepper
½ bunch parsely
pita bread

• Onion, peppers, garlic and ginger. Cook 10 mins
• Add toms cook 5 mins
• Dd butter beans, cinnamon and paprika
• Stir
• Season, add parsley

Wisp Fri 18-Jul-08 19:56:04

Its very easy being veggie with children, vegan is much harder IMHO.
DS1 was vegan until he was 2(now almost 7) but since going veggie not had any problems at all.

I have three children and they have never eaten any meat or fish. They are completely healthy, no health problems, and are very rarely ill with colds and bugs.

Favourites are; pasta meals,lots of veg and cheese, with pesto. Beans, pulses, veg, and wholegrain rice/bread.
Risottos, veg curry, quorn and bean chilli, morrocan stew.
A veggie diet is easy to incorporate all the nutrients, but a vegan diet, although completely do-able, you do need to keep tally of what they have eaten to ensure they have had enough calcium etc
The vegan society have a large section on their website about nutrition for children.
Good luck with your decision

ilovemydog Fri 18-Jul-08 20:00:52

warm bacon and eggs?

puffylovett Fri 18-Jul-08 21:01:53

LOL Ilovemydog !!!

Thank you all for your ideas, wow underrated that's a pretty darn comprehensive list and extremely inspiring, I'm going to print it off and delete the ones I know we won't eat smile

we already eat tons of lentils, brown rice, chickpeas and beans but sometimes it's hard to get inspired and that's when I wind up reaching for the meat. Also, DP loves pork chops sad

I think I've decided that i'd like to be veggie, but I'm a bit scared of comprehensively making the decision if I'm honest !! If that makes sense.... Not least because i'd be making the decision on DS's part too, and I'm a bit worried about how family will react to me not feeding him any meat. They already struggle with his diet as it's quite restricted anyway due to eczema sad

personally I think it's a much healthier diet, and the one veggie little boy we know is 19 months and he's only ever had one cold.

janeite Fri 18-Jul-08 21:04:11

Thank you - it sounds lovely.

Puffy - a really easy veggie thing that I used to make for my two when tiny was: pasta shapes (they liked bows), cooked with a handful of frozen peas so the peas went nice and soft, then mixed with full fat cream cheese so it went all melty. Both of them used to wolf this down and it only takes ten minutes to make.

Rose Elliott does a pretty good book of recipes for babies and toddlers.

ilovemydog Fri 18-Jul-08 21:07:03

but it was on the list under salads!

UnderRated Fri 18-Jul-08 21:14:50

We're veggie by accident. It wasn't a concious decision not to eat meat - I realised I very rarely cooked it, I don't like it that much and I couldn't afford to buy decent meat over here so we were eating a more or less totally vegetarian diet anyway. I don't feel bad at inflicting it on DS - he does sometimes ask for meat when we are out and he eats it with his Dad but I really think he's do just as well without it.

Good Luck!

UnderRated Fri 18-Jul-08 21:16:14

Aaah, yes, the salad with bacon and eggs - I pasted the non-meaty bit on my list (from when we did eat meat and in case we start again) but the salads are mixed. I forgot to delete that, sorry!

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now