Talk

Advanced search

Omelettes - an idiots guide..........

(13 Posts)
FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 15:46:16

please......

I can do a 3 course meal, boil an egg, baked etc etc.

But I can't make omelettes.

Please can someone give me an idiots guide to making an omelette blush

WheresTheAuPair Fri 18-Jul-08 15:49:13

use the best non stick frying pan you can!
-heat oil or butter
-add scrambled eggs in (2 per person is my usual rule)
-lightly move around the pan for a minute or so then leave alone!
-let the egg set
-add cheese etc
-flip half over (and pray it hasn't stuck to the darn pan) grin
-serve immediately!

GreatAuntieWurly Fri 18-Jul-08 15:50:08

if you dont manage to flip it over then shove under the grill for a few minutes to brown.

WheresTheAuPair Fri 18-Jul-08 15:50:58

onion ones are yum- heat the chopped onion in the oil til its browning then add the egg etc. if I do pepper ones I add the peppers first with the onions then add the egg when the veg has cooked as the egg really doesn't need long in the pan or it goes all rubbery.

hope this helps!

ruddynorah Fri 18-Jul-08 15:51:36

knob of butter in pan, melt it. get pan quite hot.

whisk up 2 eggs in bowl.

pour eggs in pan, leave it til the edges start to solidify.

use fork/spoon to draw one edge into middle of pan, and tip pan so uncooked egg from the middle falls into empty bit of pan.

keep drawing the edges in all around and moving tipping the pan so uncooked egg goes into empty space.

you get a nice plump ruffly omelette this way.

if you do it the chef way you end up with a half raw scrambled egg thing.

when all the omlette is cooked i then add filling in middle, fold it over once, let filling cook/melt a bit.

eat it.

FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 15:51:42

I have a bloody good pan - it was my mum's omelette pan (and she always made fantastic omelettes) and despite it's age is by far the best pan I've got in the house LOL

ruddynorah Fri 18-Jul-08 15:52:19

you don't need to do the flip thing or grill it if you draw the edges in and tip your pan.

FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 15:52:43

thanks everyone - I shall try again tonight - feel very blush that something as simple as omelettes have eluded me for years

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Jul-08 15:53:23

Go to John Lewis - order omlette and watch how they do it. Then go down stairs and buy an omlette pan in their kitchen department.

This was how I learnt to make omlettes and you do need an omlette pan for really good ones wink

WheresTheAuPair Fri 18-Jul-08 15:56:01

I was given Jamie Oliver Tefel pans for christmas last year (i know- v.domesticated prezzie from DH blush using these my omelettes do turn out well-when I use my mums pans they always seem to stick unless i use loads of oil.

FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 15:57:41

my mum used to make omelettes with ease in this pan, it's not Tefel - but it's non-stick, really lovely pan (and well looked after) and H used to make omelettes in it too......so I know the only reason that mine just don't "work" are purely down to me blush

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Jul-08 16:03:04

how to make omelette

FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 18:21:36

thank you everyone - I god know why I have always struggled with omelettes didn't really do anything different at all from what I used to do (and what was recommended above) and the DS's are currently happily tucking into Cheese Omelettes and Salad grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now