Talk

Advanced search

Need to impress a vegetarian - what shall I cook tonight?

(28 Posts)
procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 11:59:37

Bearing in mind that I am very stressed with many other things and am only a middling cook. And I am very short of time.

DH and the other guest are rabid meat eaters, just to complicate matters.

Please help me.

<<pathetic voice>>

mishymoo Fri 18-Jul-08 12:02:31

roasted vegetables? Stuffed butternut squash. Cut butternut in half, scoop out pipes, sprinkle with mixed herbs and drizzle with olive oil - bake until soft. Stuff with savoury rice or couscous - delicious!

Quadrophenia Fri 18-Jul-08 12:03:17

chunky veg lasagne, salad and french bread garlic bread with cheese.

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:05:31

Sounding good, mishymoo.

DH not great on butternut squash but he might have to do as he is told.

Is there are anything I could do as well for the meat eaters, or is that just rude?

mishymoo Fri 18-Jul-08 12:07:15

The meat eaters could have a steak on the side! If DH not keen on butternut, give him a baked potato and salad

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:07:32

Veg lasagne. Haven't cooked that for years. Yummy.

The really embarrassing thing is that I used to be a vegetarian before I married such a carnivore.

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:08:13

Now I love steak.

witchandchips Fri 18-Jul-08 12:16:51

If you want to pander to the meat eaters as well the best thing is to do mix and match from something like the following

a) spicy chick pea with roasted aubergine + fresh tomatoes
b) tabouleh
c) green salad
d) posh sausages
e) filo parcels with balsamic onions and pecorino
f) bread

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:31:17

<<drooling from mouth>>

That sounds fantastic, witchandchips. Have you a recipe for a)? Could I replace d) with a chicken leg and if so what could I do to it? And I can't do filo parcels, at least not for the first time under pressure.

SilkCutMama Fri 18-Jul-08 12:38:03

stuffed peppers with goats cheese. They are delicious and they do in the microwave so really, really easy. Serve with lovely fresh salad

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:41:14

silkcutmama (great name!) - do you have a recipe?

FluffyMummy123 Fri 18-Jul-08 12:42:22

Message withdrawn

witchandchips Fri 18-Jul-08 12:44:08

a) is dead easy (and most of it can be done ahead of time)

Ingredients (for 6)
2 goodsize aubergines
2 tins chickpeas
small bunch of parsley
2 1lbs of good quality tomatoes
olive oil
1-2 chilis (depending on strength + taste)
2 cloves of garlic
lemon juice
salt+pepper

- in advance
1) slice + roast the aubergine til they are very soft and just beginning to colour
2) put whole chilis + garlic in oil on very low heat until for 5 mins. Turn off heat and leave aside until aubergines are cooked
3) put cooked aubergines in serving dish with chickpeas (drained) and oil from chili+garlic. - if you want a stronger flavour you can chop the garlic+ chili + add this too. Stir until aubergines have broken up

- just before serving
chop tomatoes+ parsley and add to chickpea mixture and just bring up to tempreture. Add a squeese of lemon juice + season to taste

think chicken leg would be fine simple roasted with garlic + rosemary
have fun

sundew Fri 18-Jul-08 12:46:11

Lentil lasagne - its one of my dhs favourite meals (and he is a rabid meat eater). Really easy to make (the recipe is on MNet recipes bit). The sauce bit is even better if made in advance - so you can do most of it now. Serve with salad and garlic bread / jacket potatoes.

If you need to do something meaty why not have a salad starter - maybe mozeralla and tomatoes + basil and also provide a choice of cut meats (those fancy italian ones!)

Good luck tonight - I've always found having a glass (or three) of wines takes the nerves away!!

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:46:31

ho ho, cod.

I haven't met this person before and for various reasons need to ^make an effort^. If it were simply up to me, it would be bangers and a bacon butty for sure.

So, it needs to be 'I've made an effort' impressive, and (for my pride's sake) 'I just whipped this up' easy.

SilkCutMama Fri 18-Jul-08 12:47:43

Here we go

I promise you it all tastes delicious and they will never know how easy it was!!

This is for 2 people so just increase for more poeple

Half peppers and de-seed
Put in microwave for 9 minutes on full power

meanwhile, mix 4 large teaspoons of pesto and a packet of tomato and basil packet rice. Add in olives as well if you like them.
Cut cheese into 8 thick slices

Then when peppers are done, put slice of cheese then some of the mix into each pepper. Top with another slice of cheese and place into microwave for about 5/6 mins

This meal is a staple in our house, we have it all the time and guests love it- whether veggie or not

Good luck tonight whatever you cook and enjoy it!
smile

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 12:47:52

I would make a big mixed vegetable stir-fry and serve it with piles of steaming rice, and do a chicken and cashew stir fry or beef and ginger stir fry as well for the meat eaters.

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 12:49:02

like this

bratnav Fri 18-Jul-08 12:50:07

Aubergine and Parmesan bake?

Dead easy and can be done ahead, it's a bit like a veggie moussaka

Will post recipe if you like the sound of it

soremummy Fri 18-Jul-08 12:50:35

Stuffed Peppers

Cut tops off and de seed them brush with oil cook for 15 mins take out of oven and fill with the following

Cooked Rice, grated cheese kidney beans and jar of salsa all mixed together.

Back in oven for another 10 or 15 mins

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 12:51:11

stir fries are easy yet impressive.

You can prep all the veg and meat in advance, then it will just take minutes to stir fry in a wok right before you eat. Effortless yet tasty. What more could you want?

procrastinatingparent Fri 18-Jul-08 12:58:01

OMDB - don't know why, but can't do stir fries. Especially ridiculous since I was brought up in SE Asia and ate them daily. Your conviction about how good they are makes me think I should deal with my stir fry issues soon, though.

Liking all these recipes, ladies.

Bratnav - would you mind posting that? Thank you!

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 13:01:10

Hmmm, that's a shame, they really are easy to make! Ok, one to try out another time when you;'re not trying to imress guests!

How about a moroccan tagine? Very easy

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 13:01:53

here

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 13:02:26

You could serve it with lamb chops with moroccan marinade for the carnivours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now