Talk

Advanced search

Who makes 'own brand' foods?

(11 Posts)
Satine Sun 06-Feb-05 09:51:00

I heard recently that there's a list of which supermarket own brand foods are actually made by brand name firms (eg Sainsbury's weetabix actually made by Kelloggs, or whatever). Does anyone know where I could find it?!

Blackduck Sun 06-Feb-05 09:54:01

try www.moneysavingexpert.com - he has a list on there...

lowcalCOD Sun 06-Feb-05 10:12:12

yes dh has been to weetabox factory
t hey make for allt eh supermarkets

Frizbe Sun 06-Feb-05 10:14:22

friend works at bagle factory, that does all the uk's bagels!

jangly Sun 06-Feb-05 10:14:30

Yes, but they'd make it to a separate specification wouldn't they. A cheaper 'recipe'.

SoupDragon Sun 06-Feb-05 10:14:58

Nestle make some of the own brand cereals.

tangerinecath Sun 06-Feb-05 10:56:17

I work in the food industry, have done for a while now. The company I work for owns brands such as Branston, Hartleys, Ambrosia, HP, Crosse & Blackwell, Loyd Grossman, Typhoo, Sun Pat, Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate amongst others, and we also manufacture a wide range of canned food/jams/tea etc for the supermarkets. The stuff we make for supermarkets is sometimes to a cheaper specification than the branded stuff, sometimes not. Sainsbury's/Waitrose/M&S is generally as good or nearly as good as the branded stuff, and Asda/Kwik Save is generally a cheaper version - about what you'd expect really.

misdee Sun 06-Feb-05 10:59:12

cereal partners uk (who make shreddies etc) make own brand cereal as well. how do i know? i live near the factory and can see the boxes for sainsburys cereals etc thro the windows.

wobblyknicks Sun 06-Feb-05 11:03:34

According to someone I know who works in manufacturing, Kelloggs is the only company who doesn't make products for anyone else - everyone else mucks in together.

sweetkitty Sun 06-Feb-05 21:42:37

I work in the food industry as well and yes everyone makes for everyone else although you do get dedicated factories ie that just make for say M&S, the difference is the specifications are different ie Sainsburys donuts may have different % of jam to Tescos etc.

pixiefish Sun 06-Feb-05 21:45:36

I know it's not a food as such but a friend of mine used to work in a factory in Middleton where they made fabric conditioner and he told me that the same stuff used to go into different branded bottles

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: