Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

why would a baby cry really badly after a meal in high chair?

(7 Posts)
bumbly Thu 17-Jul-08 21:11:52

hunger? boredom? wants out?

i wouldn't give him empty tin and he went mad - but how can i discipline an 11 month old to not start a tantrum??

iBundle Thu 17-Jul-08 21:12:39

you can't

try serving it from a plastic cup and give it to him

Bluestocking Thu 17-Jul-08 21:30:53

I've just looked at your other thread. Of course your LO loves you. I wonder if you could make your life easier, and your life with your LO more fun, if you tried strategies like the one iBundle suggests. You can't discipline an 11-month old, you have to try and avoid situations which will upset him - so if you know he's going to want the container his food's been in, decant it into a plastic cup or bowl which he can hold himself. I read something which really helped me when my DS was about a year old, about thinking when you're going to say "no", do you really need to say it? Like if your DS wants to take all the saucepans out of the kitchen cupboard, do you really need to say "no", or could you just let him do it and enjoy it?

andiem Thu 17-Jul-08 21:33:30

my ds2 is 12 mths and he is desperate to get his hands on anything that his food is in so now I put the food on the table and give him the plate or bowl he then feeds himself and plays with the plastic stuff

meemar Thu 17-Jul-08 21:35:24

It is totally normal behaviour for a baby of this age. He is not really having a 'tantrum' - just expressing his upset that you won't give him what he wants.

Distraction is best - give him something else to hold and he'll soon lose interest.

bumbly Thu 17-Jul-08 21:35:45

funny thing he didnt want to feed hmself - just cried

pointydog Thu 17-Jul-08 21:39:51

the first tantrum dd2 had was in teh high chair when she shoved a yoghurt away, prob about 10 months or so. Very small children enjoy controlling their food as it's one of the first things they can control, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now