Talk

Advanced search

Pizza dough - can you freeze and when?

(6 Posts)
Gloria42 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:20:36

DP has recently been diagnosed with coeliac and I have been experimenting with gluten free flour. Managed to make some decent pizza bases but was a bit of a faff, leaving dough to rise etc so not something I could quickly bung in the oven after work.
So, the question is, to be prepared can I freeze the raw dough and if so, at what stage should I put it in the freezer? Before rising? After rising but before kneading? When it's basically ready to go into the oven?
Thanks

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 11:23:00

I would freeze them already rolled out ready to go in the oven, or actually part-bake them, then freeze them after cooling down. That would be the best thing actually, thinking about it.

FrazzledFairyFay Thu 17-Jul-08 11:25:05

I make 'normal' pizza dough in my breadmaker then take it out, let it rise and then freeze it in balls - ie when it's at the ready to cook stage. I then take out a ball in the morning, leave it covered up to defrost and form it into a base at tea time. I've no idea whether this is the 'right' way of doing it but tt seems to work absolutely fine for me.

I also make big batches of the tomato sauce and freeze that in ice cube trays so that I can defrost just enough for an individual child's pizza.

Good luck!

ChopsTheDuck Thu 17-Jul-08 11:30:20

ooh this is a good idea! I guess it would work with naan dough too?

Gloria42 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:34:04

Overmydeadbody, the gluten free stuff seems quite hard to work with. Breaks up really easily uncooked so might look more like crumbs by the time I defrosted it! I tried pre-cooking but it made it quite dry so will try Frazzled's balls idea! Thanks all

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 12:11:50

ok, sorry, I don't have much experience with gluten free dough!

The ball idea sounds good.

I secomd the ice cubes of tomato sauce too for indicidual pizzas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now