Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know the recipe for the Moro chocolate and apricot cake?

(11 Posts)
artichokes Thu 17-Jul-08 10:12:19

I friend made it a couple of years ago and it was gorgeous.

I need to make a cake for a lunch party on Saturday and would love to have a go but don't have the Moro book. Does anyone know the recipe?

stealthsquiggle Thu 17-Jul-08 10:19:18

We have Moro East but I am guessing that is the wrong book, since it only has a chocolate orange torte in?

NorksDrift Thu 17-Jul-08 10:26:13

Not this then?

combustiblelemon Thu 17-Jul-08 11:35:47

Found recipe but I type slowly so bear with me.

combustiblelemon Thu 17-Jul-08 11:44:52

One Sweet Pstry Tart Shell

makes approx 250g pastry
140g plain flour
30g icing sugar
75g chilled butter cut into small pieces
1 egg yolk

Sift flour and icing sugar together. In food processor or by hand, blend butter with flour until you have a texture like fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and mix until the ingredients more or less come together. If pastry looks too dry add tiny splash of milk or water. Shape into ball, flatten slightly, wrap in clingfilm and chill in fridge for 1 hour minimum.
When ready, grate pastry (it can be quite hard) on a coarse grater and press it evenly around the edges and base of the tart tin to a thickness of 3-5mm. Prick the base and rest it in the fridge for 30 mins. Preheat oven to 220C/gas mark 7/425F. Bake tart shell on top shelf of oven for 10-15 mins until light brown. Remove and cool on rack.

combustiblelemon Thu 17-Jul-08 11:59:39

Filling

180g apricot paste (they use amber sheets of apricot paste called 'amradeen' or 'apricot leather' available from Lebanese or Turkish food suppliers) or dried apricots
4 TBSP water
2 TBSP lemon juice
135g unsalted butter
110g dark chocolate (a good quality 70% one) broken up
2 large eggs
60g caster sugar

Place apricot paste in a pan over a low heat with the water and lemon juice until a smooth paste is formed. If using dried apricots, chop finely then transfer to a pan and simmer for 5 mins with the water and lemon juice (if required) until soft.Puree in a blender. The mixture should taste slightly tart. Spread the apricot mix onto the tart shell and leave to cool for a short while until the apricot starts to form a slight skin.

Meanwhile, place the butter and chocolate in a bain-marie and heat. When the chocolate has melted, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, then fold together with the chocolate mixture. Pour into the tart base and even out with a spatula. Bake on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes. The filling should still be a little wobbly when you take it out, and have a very thin crust on top. Serve with creamy yoghurt or creme fraiche.

combustiblelemon Thu 17-Jul-08 12:04:25

It's in Moro which is currently £9.75 from Amazon.

artichokes Thu 17-Jul-08 12:41:58

Thank you sooooo much CL. You are a total star. DH is forever in your debt as he has been dreaming of that cake for over a year grin.

Is the whole book good and therefore worth getting?

combustiblelemon Thu 17-Jul-08 13:19:48

I really like it. There are three soups in there that are staples in the Lemon household. I'd suggest that you go for a longish browse in a bookshop to look over it yourself before you buy it.

TheHolyGrail Thu 17-Jul-08 22:26:44

Have both the Moro cook books and both have many good recipes - but some people can be fussy and not enjoy - however if you are a bit adventurous and like quite 'big' flavours then go for it! Did a 12 course meal one New Years eve from the book - one of our guests rated it 2nd best meal of his life smile. Have not done that tart - could be a contender for this weekends guest list hmm

artichokes Fri 18-Jul-08 10:13:21

thanks, i think we will get it. most of my cooking has a middle eastern influence already as i learned from my mum who learned in turkey, buti usually just make things up and a few new ideas would be good.

am going to walk dd down to waterstones now smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now