Talk

Advanced search

Help! Having a ganache-trophe!

(10 Posts)
GodzillasBumcheek Wed 16-Jul-08 22:13:29

Making 2 birthday cakes today, for DTD1 and 2, i did DTD1's first because she wanted a simple iced birthday cake, so that's done and dusted.

DTD2's cake is a different matter. The chocolate sponge turned out perfectly, but i have tried to make a ganache icing with 4 fluid oz double cream, and 4oz of dark chocolate...and it WILL NOT thicken!

Have i not whisked it for long enough? Or does it need a really long time in the fridge? (it's been in there about an hour and a quarter).

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 22:14:59

what is it doing exactly, falling off the cake? did it thicken in the pan?

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 16-Jul-08 22:17:16

i haven't put it on the cake yet. The recipe said to whisk it (non-specific amount of time) and leave it to thicken in the fridge until it's spreading consistency.

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 22:25:40

i think it may need to be reheated. i have never had a problem with 50/50 ganache, so long as you don't over heat and curdle it.

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 16-Jul-08 22:28:34

ohhhh...how do you know if you've curdled it? I took it off the heat as soon as the chocolate had melted but i don't know.

And how do i rescue it or have i no hope?

christiana Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:42

Message withdrawn

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 22:32:00

bung it back in pan, gentle heat and stir stir stir till it thickens. you will know if it has curdled, it will go grainy and nasty. and then you can eat it all yourself to hide evidence.

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 16-Jul-08 22:36:46

Lol...i think i would be sick if i ate it all - there is a LOT!

Ok, bearing in mind it's 10.30 at night and i have been on my feet in the kitchen since 1.30 this afternoon (ok, with breaks for eating and childcare), i am going to leave it in the fridge overnight, and if i still get no joy, bung it in the pan again in the morning. If all else fails i'll buy a tub from Asda blush

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 16-Jul-08 22:38:38

Oh, and Christiana - i don't want to risk ruining it by pouring it over now, cos i haven't got the ingredients to make another. And it needs to be able to go in party bags the day after tomorrow!

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 16-Jul-08 22:48:43

Oh oh oh oh! I just checked in the fridge, expecting it to be the same as before...and although it's not quite spreading consistency yet, it is thickening.

Panic over blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now