Talk

Advanced search

Fark me! Dont ever use Sainsburys strong bread flour when making Lemon Drizzle...

(9 Posts)
butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:10

the results are catastrophic!

It exploded everywhere!!!
My oven is now a lemon drizzle hole

shock shock shock

Spidermama Wed 16-Jul-08 21:54:29

Really? I've often wondered what would happen if I were to use bread flour to make a cake. So was the lemon the problem? I usually don't put the lemon in a lemon drizzle until it comes out of the oven.

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:15

i do not know why, chemically, but bread flour needs to sit around a bit to absorb water, yeast etc and transform itself into nice bread.

cakes do better with highly refined flour, hence their deliciousness and predictable behaviour.

butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:00:06

Well I didnt have self raising so I just thought that bread flour would be ok considering bread has to rise.

I did add an extra teaspoon of baking powder too blush

I should have known something wasnt right when everything started to bubble in the bowl.

Amazingly though there is enough left in the tin!

totalmisfit Wed 16-Jul-08 22:02:09

eww... even if it had worked it would have been heavy as a pig.

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 22:05:58

whybut. we know why. it was an experiment and it was BAD. quick spray oven with water before it sticks forever and you have to get a whole new house.

butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:08:20

I'm just waiting for the oven to cool and it will be attacked with oven cleaner.
I hate the smell of burnt on food.

totalmisfit, the cake has come out briliant grin
Its all light and fluffy.

OverMyDeadBody Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:51

lol

I wonder if it was the extra teaspoon of baking powder rather than the flour? Strong bread flour is just made with a higher gluten content that is released with all the kneading to give a perfect bread texture.

Glad it still turned out ok!

butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:15:39

I reckon the baking powder had alot to do with it, hence all the fizzing and bubbling in the bowl.

My kitchen turned into a temporary chemistry lab grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now