Talk

Advanced search

Fark me! Dont ever use Sainsburys strong bread flour when making Lemon Drizzle...

(9 Posts)
butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:10

the results are catastrophic!

It exploded everywhere!!!
My oven is now a lemon drizzle hole

shock shock shock

Spidermama Wed 16-Jul-08 21:54:29

Really? I've often wondered what would happen if I were to use bread flour to make a cake. So was the lemon the problem? I usually don't put the lemon in a lemon drizzle until it comes out of the oven.

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:15

i do not know why, chemically, but bread flour needs to sit around a bit to absorb water, yeast etc and transform itself into nice bread.

cakes do better with highly refined flour, hence their deliciousness and predictable behaviour.

butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:00:06

Well I didnt have self raising so I just thought that bread flour would be ok considering bread has to rise.

I did add an extra teaspoon of baking powder too blush

I should have known something wasnt right when everything started to bubble in the bowl.

Amazingly though there is enough left in the tin!

totalmisfit Wed 16-Jul-08 22:02:09

eww... even if it had worked it would have been heavy as a pig.

fishie Wed 16-Jul-08 22:05:58

whybut. we know why. it was an experiment and it was BAD. quick spray oven with water before it sticks forever and you have to get a whole new house.

butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:08:20

I'm just waiting for the oven to cool and it will be attacked with oven cleaner.
I hate the smell of burnt on food.

totalmisfit, the cake has come out briliant grin
Its all light and fluffy.

OverMyDeadBody Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:51

lol

I wonder if it was the extra teaspoon of baking powder rather than the flour? Strong bread flour is just made with a higher gluten content that is released with all the kneading to give a perfect bread texture.

Glad it still turned out ok!

butwhybutwhy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:15:39

I reckon the baking powder had alot to do with it, hence all the fizzing and bubbling in the bowl.

My kitchen turned into a temporary chemistry lab grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: