200ml warm water
2 eggs, beaten
75g butter, melted and cooled

for the glaze and topping
2tsp egg reserved from the 2 used above
2 tsp water
poppy seeds

grease a baking sheet
sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, then add the sugr, mix and make a well in the centre. add the yeast, add the warm water and most of the beaten egg (see glaze ingredients above) gradually to make a soft dough, adding the butter as you go,

turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. return to bowl, cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size - about an hour.

knock back and knead again for a few mins.

for 1 large loaf divide the dough into 4 pieces, rolling them into 4 ropes about 45cm long. line them up and join them at one end. plait. tuck the ends well under.

lift onto prepared baking sheet, cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise again for 30 mins. preheat oven to 200C/gas mark 6.

mix the reserved egg with the water and brush over loaf. sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake for 30-40mins. cool on a wire rack.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 19:39:01

yes, it is same and thanks - that looks fab...we used to be able to buy it at Waitrose in London but no sign of it out here in the sticks so thought I'd have a go myself

RubySlippers Wed 16-Jul-08 19:40:49

this is a good recipe

and you can add the poppy seeds etc

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 21:49:33

thanks ruby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now