Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long can a 2yo eat mushrooms for before she becomes one?

(10 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 18:03:50

DD is only into mushrooms right now. She will eat them until they come out of her ears, but wont eat anything else for the last few days. Apart from frozen summer fruits.

I cooked a fish pie, put some mushrooms and courgettes in and tried to be sneaky, gave her a mouthful of mushroom and bit of fish, it worked for first three mouthfuls, then she picked out all but the mushrooms!

Are mushrooms very nutritious? She has eaten nothing else, and I am tempted to just cook some more mushrooms as she has hardly eaten this evening.

Nutritional facts about mushrooms This food is low in Saturated Fat and Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin C, Folate, Iron, Zinc and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin D, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Selenium.

hmm, you could try cooking some more things with mushrooms in? chicken and mushroom pie? mushroom stroganoff? ham, cheese and mushroom omlette?

At least it's a vegetable she's mad about, and not haribo or something!!

TsarChasm Wed 16-Jul-08 18:08:37

I love mushrooms. I'm the only one in the house who does though and dc pick them out and leave them on the side of the plate. She can come and live here as my ally and we can love them together!grin

Not much help am I?! I have no idea how good they are for you.

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 18:12:13

james - the only thing that she will eat and not pick the mushrooms out of is omelette - she will eat it all then, but she has had that for several days now! I was hoping she would eat the fish, I guess two mouthfuls is better than nought.

I did not know that about mushrooms - hate them myself (goes to show it is not necessarily true about what you eat when pg/bf'ing influencing them - i love peppers and DD hates them!). At least not only is it a vegetable, but a nutritious one! (is it actually classed as a vegetable?)

She loves them so much, she would prefer it to ice cream right now grin

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 18:13:48

Tsar - I shall send her over. I cant stand them myself! grin

TsarChasm Wed 16-Jul-08 18:16:59

We can swap dc. Mine always moan to blazes about the mushrooms.

When she's older you could make her a lovely big stuffed mushroom. No-one else here is bothered about my lovely stuffed mushrooms <sob>.

Your dd must have quite a grown up taste to enjoy them though. Many chldren don't like them at all.

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 18:36:57

tsar - she has always liked them, ever since she was first given them at god knows what age (7-8 months?). She seems quite like strong flavours - pesto, olives, mild curry - but right now its mushrooms or nothing.

She has eaten about 8 button mushrooms in total, and would probably eat more if I gave her more!

She is being parcelled up her way to you now so get stuffing those mushrooms.

DH would like them though, he enjoys a good mushroom or too. Just me is the freak in this family! grin

dinkystinky Thu 17-Jul-08 11:51:12

Pavlov - try mushroom risotto on her - I defy her to pick all the mushroom bits out of that!

tigana Thu 17-Jul-08 12:01:13

If she is anything like ds, I give her about another day or 2 of the mushroom obession, then she will suddenly start to refuse them! Then, slowly, they will come back into her acceptance, but at a 'normal' level and alongside other foods.

(disclaimer, IME this does not quite work with yoghurts, which will be consumed at an abnormally high level, forever)

TattooedGrrrl Thu 17-Jul-08 13:32:51

DS1 will eat raw mushrooms like they are apples! Blurgh. I hate them myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now