Talk

Advanced search

Greengrocers, butchers and milkman

(7 Posts)
fiodyl Wed 16-Jul-08 16:16:28

Would it be cheaper for me to buy from them instead of ordering everything online?

Im kind of ashamed to say that I have never even been in a green gocer or butchers let alone bought anything from them, so i have no idea of their prices. I don't know anyone who has their milk delivered by a milkman anymore and Im not even sure they do deliver round here.

Ive just had m online shopping delivered which cost £38(£9.50 of that was tobacco) and Ive worked out I spend about £10 a week on fresh fruit and veg. Once a month I do a big shop and spend £70-80 and about £20 of this is on meat- I usually bu it frozen as it is cheaper and lasts longer.
We get through 8 pints of full fat milk and 4 pints of semi skimmed in a week which costs about £5.

Am I spending too much on this stuff and could i be saving money by geting it from individual shops?

onepieceoflollipop Wed 16-Jul-08 16:18:59

I don't buy much meat so no advice re butchers. I would love a milkman but the 2 I have tried have been hopelessly unreliable which made me really angry - will try again at some point though.

IME most greengrocers are cheaper (and have a lot more seasonal fruit) than supermarkets. The milk from the milkman would be much more expensive I think, but of course if you keep popping to the shops to buy milk (like I do) and pick up other "bargains" then you may well be better off. Plus if the milkman uses bottles they are recyclable.

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Wed 16-Jul-08 16:19:29

i dont think milkmen, unfortuantely, are cheaper. was bullied into trying it once, felt sorry for the bloke who was touting for business, but cancelled it pretty quick after getting bill.
greengrocers i am sure are cheaper and NOT prepacked.
think butchers have competative prices ..
got for it ... if you have the time to shop aroound,

OverMyDeadBody Wed 16-Jul-08 16:21:46

Milkmen will definately be a lot more expensive. Without a doubt.

witchandchips Wed 16-Jul-08 16:27:52

green grocers are cheaper and usually imply that you shop more often and in smaller amount so less is wasted.

Butchers are more expensive on average (no £1.69 chickens for example) but are generally cheaper for free-range/organic stuff, have more cheaper cuts available and you can buy exactly what you need. So 2 legs + a drumstick if just cooking for 2 adults + child rather than pack of 8 chicken pieces 1 of which ends up being thown away or buried beneath piles of ice in the freezer

Nagapie Wed 16-Jul-08 16:32:45

Milkmen more expensive - I was being charged 60p for a pint of milk, supermarket is 36p..

Local butcher can be good for some things - as mentioned, you get the cuts of meat you want and can be prepared the way you want it to be done without faffing around..

Our grocer at local market is the same/cheaper than the supermarket and you get the chance to select the amounts you want..

Mercy Wed 16-Jul-08 16:38:36

Your grocery bill sounds fine to me.

How many in your family?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now