Talk

Advanced search

Can you freeze fresh herbs?

(9 Posts)
freshprincess Tue 15-Jul-08 22:11:21

I bought some fresh herbs, but got more than I needed. Don't need them for the rest of the week and I don't want to waste them (they will go in the composter but even so...)

Tickle Tue 15-Jul-08 22:20:03

not sure, but you could try it - I know you can buy chopped frozen parsley.

chop them into small portions, then suck all the air out of the plastic bags before freezing.

daffodill6 Tue 15-Jul-08 22:27:54

MIL buys huge quantities of flat leaf parsley and puts it in a plastic bag in the chiller compartment of the fridge. IE stalks in the bag, leaves outside. I was suprised - can last 2-3 weeks - then if goes a bit yuk - chop and put in ice cube tray with a small amount of water ymwim

She has also frozen both basil and parsley leaves as is but imo they are tasteless

Madlentileater Tue 15-Jul-08 22:30:20

we freeze coriander, works well as long as you are going to cook it.

liath Tue 15-Jul-08 22:31:45

Chop & put in ice cube trays then add a bit of water. Once frozen you can put the cubes in a freezer bag.

freshprincess Tue 15-Jul-08 22:34:17

2-3 weeks in the fridge would be ok. thanks

RambleOn Tue 15-Jul-08 22:38:54

Make herb butter, it freezes better. Chop and mix with butter at room temp. Freeze in ice cube tray.

You could also add crushed garlic to some.

Great for making garlic and herb bread, frying mushrooms with, etc.

freshprincess Tue 15-Jul-08 22:48:15

Rambleon - that's sounds good idea. I've got basil, coriander and mint.

streakybacon Wed 16-Jul-08 15:52:09

Don't bother with chopping them before freezing. Put the whole leaves in a plastic bag in the freezer, when it's frozen give it a good bash and it's in bits. Keeps for months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now