Talk

Advanced search

Would you eat salmon that smells 'funny'

(18 Posts)
Jahan Tue 15-Jul-08 18:08:00

Use by date is today. It doesn't stink - just like its about to go off.

bellavita Tue 15-Jul-08 18:08:25

If in doubt - no

crokky Tue 15-Jul-08 18:09:37

Don't eat salmon if it is a bit funny.

LittleMissTickles Tue 15-Jul-08 18:10:51

NO, don't eat it.

elmoandella Tue 15-Jul-08 18:12:01

no.

OverMyDeadBody Tue 15-Jul-08 18:12:53

No. It's not worth the risk of spending the next week in bed with D&V is it?

What I would do is carefully wash it and then smell it again. Was it wrapped up or still in airtight packaging or what?

Jahan Tue 15-Jul-08 18:13:19

Thanks. Its a shame it has to be thrown out. Expensive it was too!
Oh well. Off to search the freezer for something else...

onepieceoflollipop Tue 15-Jul-08 18:13:36

NO don't eat it - honestly. If you even have the slightest doubt (and you have because you're asking us on here) then DON'T

Jahan Tue 15-Jul-08 18:14:17

OMDB - yes it was. I'll wash it and see.

Jahan Tue 15-Jul-08 18:15:27

oh, sod it. will just chuck it.

iBundle Tue 15-Jul-08 18:15:40

no

SummatAnNowt Tue 15-Jul-08 18:19:25

We think things smell funny for a reason! Trust your nose!

cocolepew Tue 15-Jul-08 18:20:05

NO

cocolepew Tue 15-Jul-08 18:20:05

NO

belcantavinissima Tue 15-Jul-08 18:20:52

absolutely not. throw it in the bin

OverMyDeadBody Tue 15-Jul-08 18:30:08

If it's off you wouldn't physically be able to eat it anyway. Your body wouldn't letr you.

nannyL Tue 15-Jul-08 18:40:23

NO

i dont really take much notice of use by dates....

i take noice of look and smell

if it smells odd than dont eat it IMO!

expatinengland Wed 16-Jul-08 20:44:15

I never buy any seafood that is in packaging because you can't tell if it's good before you buy it. Seafood is so perishable and must always be handled properly in shipping and at the store. In the US, I would buy it this way because when I ask there, they open it up for me and let me smell it. However, in the UK, I've NEVER had anybody (except Waitrose) do this. They think I'm crazy. (I guess just 'ugly American behavior'. )Please don't take this the wrong way, but I can't understand why you folks in the UK don't take up for yourselves better and demad better service.

Also, do you have the receipt still? Better if you do, but in any case I'd ring the store right away (before sell by date expires) and tell them about and ask for a refund, or at least store credit.

I don't hesitate to do this if I have a problem and have never been turned down, but sometimes have to be persistent..esp. with Tesco, which is why I try and never go there. This is completely acceptable behavior in the US, and there you would bet a nice apology and might even get other store coupons or such. Again, you might have to go all the way up to the store mgr...just ask for them in the first place.

At the very least, if you get nowhere, take the fish to where you purchased it to cust. svc. if you can today.

Of course I only do this if a problem and not over due date, and don't make things up. Since it rarely happens, I've not had any problems. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now