Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask a really stupid question?

(13 Posts)
mishymoo Tue 15-Jul-08 12:08:23

I want to try this ovenbaked thai chicken rice tonight but I don't have one of the Le Creuset oven proof dishes! Can I use a pirex dish with a lid instead? Will it dry out and burn?

mishymoo Tue 15-Jul-08 12:11:05

anyone?

GreatAuntieWurly Tue 15-Jul-08 12:12:15

think it will be fine as long as you keep an eye on it.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Tue 15-Jul-08 12:12:50

pirex dish will be fine.

DaphneDescends Tue 15-Jul-08 12:12:52

Ha! Funnily enough I am doing that tonight - starting in a saucepan and then into a pyrex dish for the oven... it'll be fine

I hope...

mishymoo Tue 15-Jul-08 12:14:09

Thanks for replies - I am going to give it a go! I'll start it in a saucepan and transfer to dish!

Should we compare notes tomorrow Daphne? I saw it on another thread this morning and it looks lovely!

DaphneDescends Tue 15-Jul-08 18:41:36

I have chickened out tonight and am having pizza - I'll do it tomorrow for DPs birthday so am v keen to hear how it was!

mishymoo Wed 16-Jul-08 09:47:52

Well I tried this last night and it was awful! I followed recipe and it ended up being all dried out and stodgy! My DS refused to eat it and ended up having cereal. Needless to say I don't think I will be making it again!

OverMyDeadBody Wed 16-Jul-08 09:51:49

mishymoo what type of rice did you use?

Did you stir it a lot? Stiring rice while it is cooking releases the starch leaving you with a stodgy mess.

mishymoo Wed 16-Jul-08 09:53:30

I used long grain and wild rice and I started it in a pan and transferred to Pyrex dish. Didn't stir it for the 20 minutes it was in the oven though!

MrsBadger Wed 16-Jul-08 09:58:56

this is a much better rice-in-the-oven dish - so long as you keep the ratio of rice:liquid the same you can make any variation - we had roast chicken, pea and mint last night.
I make it in a metal casserole (like a saucepan with two handles)

Buda Wed 16-Jul-08 10:02:01

That's a shame. It looks lovely - may try it this week.

For future if a dish like this is dried out you can add a little hot water or stock and mix to moisten it.

DaphneDescends Wed 16-Jul-08 19:12:48

Oh mishy what a shame.

I have just done this, and to scrimp on washing up I left it on the hob for 20 minutes [slattern]

I added an orange pepper and a courgette, should've added mushrooms but forgot, really enjoyed it. I will try MrsBs too as hate stirring risotto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now