Talk

Advanced search

anyone have a good (dairy free) veggie burger recipe?

(7 Posts)
Sugarmagnolia Tue 15-Jul-08 07:23:15

I'm tired of feeding my DS hot dogs every time we have burgers or lamb chops or meat of any variety. He's good with veggies but has to be dairy free. I made an attempt last night at something concocted from mashed potato, peas, grated carrot, egg and breadcrumb but the unanimous verdict was they were pretty yuck.

suzywong Tue 15-Jul-08 07:38:31

mash a can of chickpeas well and season with salt and pepper. Add a big spoon of egg free mayo, bread crumbs. Heat sesame oil in pan and saute finely diced leek and red pepper and any other veg you think he will take but not carrot as it is pretty pointless here - sweetcorn maybe. Sprinkle celery salt and paprika on to the cooking veg and stir well for 30 seconds. Take off heat and add to chic peas.

chill mix for 30 minutes, shape in to patties and roll in breadcrumbs.

Sugarmagnolia Tue 15-Jul-08 08:07:22

sounds interesting - why no carrot? (Also, doesn't have to be egg-free only dairy free so normal mayo will work). I like the idea of chickpeas as the main body of them.

suzywong Tue 15-Jul-08 08:59:28

because unless carrots are very young and eaten raw or poached with aromatics they add nothing to a dish like this.
Dollop away with your Hellmans then.

dontbitemytoes Wed 16-Jul-08 17:52:05

my favourites are dead easy:

1 x 440g can chickpeas, drained and pureed
1/2 medium onion grated
1 medium onion grated
2 tablespoons indian pickle (i like lime pickle best)
1 tablespoon tomato puree/ketchup
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons oatmeal
flour to coat
oil to fry

thoroughly mix first 8 ingredients together (i use blender to grate/chop onions etc then add all other ingredients)

shape into 8 balls, flatten into burger shapes and coat with flour

heat oil and fry for around 8 mins.

they are fine for freezing too

UnderRated Thu 17-Jul-08 02:42:28

Black Bean Burgers (DS (2.9) thinks they are meat)

INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 onion, diced
• 1 can black beans
• 1/2 cup flour
• 2 slices bread, crumbled
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
• salt and pepper to taste
• oil for frying
PREPARATION:
Sautee the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.
In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth. Add sauteed onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the flour a few tablespoons at a time to combine well. Mixture will be thick.
Form bean mixture into patties, approximately ½ inch thick and fry patties in a small amount of oil until slightly firm. Make veggie burgers and enjoy!

Sugarmagnolia Thu 17-Jul-08 14:42:50

thanks for all the ideas - I came across a lentil burger recipe elsewhere so I think I'm going to try that as I know DS likes lentils. (no point in making them look too much like meat as the whole problem is that DS doesn't like meat! The rest of us are good old fashioned carnivores but DS won't touch the stuff unless its a hot dog or a nugget. )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now