Talk

Advanced search

can you cook pasta/spaghettie in the microwave?

(16 Posts)
markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 14:48:50

Can you cook dried pasta/spaghetti in the microwave and if so does it turn out ok. Have looked on my packets of spag and pasta at home and it says not suitable for microwaving is this for pasta in general or just the make of pasta i have.

MrsBadger Mon 14-Jul-08 14:50:36

have never tried

if it says not to on the packet I wouldn't

have you no hotplate / ring?

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 14:53:04

there was a whole (very funny) thread about this a while ago.

Upshot is that it is possible in a steamer I think but most people recommend against unless you have absolutely no other way of cooking it and you only have pasta to eat...

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 14:54:59

have posted on the "food" part about my son leaving home and working away and asking for quick recipes/foods he could cook as he will only have access to a microwave and fridge. I looked on our packets at home and they said not suitable for microwaving, was wondering if anyone had tried or if it was a non-starter.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 14:58:03

you can buy microwaveable pasta (dolmio and sainsburys own brand) which is good. Otherwise cous-cous just needs boiling water and you can put tinned curry with it...

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 15:02:29

Thanks for that Kewcumber will have a look when i go shopping.

taipo Mon 14-Jul-08 15:03:46

No idea about the pasta.

I agree that cous cous is a great convenience food.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:10:33

all he needs to do with COuscous is put it in a bowl coevr with boiling water for 10 mins then nmash up with a fork - you can leave it plain and treat it as an accompaniment like rice or mix it with dressing etc (which I'm guessing her won;t do...)

Scrambled eggs are great in microwave

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 15:15:54

thanks very much. I must admit have never tried couscous but he's not going until the weekend so will pop to the shop tonight and try some.

he will be taking the toaster and the steamer (which I bought about 18 months ago and have NEVER used !!!).

If it all works to plan and he likes his job will get one of those mini ove/grill things with two rings on the top so he can then bake and grill and also use the rings to cook things (like pasta) that can't be done on the microwave.

Little does he know he's having microwave cooking lessons this week in preparation.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:17:44

couscous on its own is a bit bland but with a tin of (microwaved) curry its fine. Otherwise actually mix in a salad dressing chopped meat and veg and its delicious.

Can he have a toaster - beans on toast...

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:18:38

the microwave pasta is really very good if he's keen on pasta - I bring it into work for lunch - costs about £1 a sachet so not as cheap as dried.

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 15:29:04

Will deff have a look out for the pasta the the couscous.

thought that he could do scrambled eggs or beans on toast. there's jacket potato with the obvious tuna, cheese beans on top. He'll be taking the steamer so should be ok with steaming veg and fish so hopefully should be able to last a couple of weeks until we've sorted him out with mini oven thing from the argos.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:30:05

you don;t htink he's just going to live on fish and chips from the chippie to start with then... grin

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 15:38:11

I don'tthinkso hope not, he will be working in the middle of no-where its about 2 miles to the nearest shop, and he doesn't drive (although there are other lads there who drive - so there is aways that possibility), but i am hoping not - do you think that I am being unrealistic !!!!!

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:40:21

Ummmm... yes grin

I think think microwave pasta might happen but I bet the steamer never gets out of the box...

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 15:53:14

Oh well at least I can say I tried !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now