Talk

Advanced search

"I fancy something red-lentilly," he says, "But not..."

(20 Posts)
PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 14-Jul-08 13:11:24

we usually have a red lentil soup (onion, ginger, turmeric, coconut milk, green beans) over rice.

NOT that, he says. Something ELSE.

Ideers?

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 13:13:20

Red lentil Dahl with rice or naan bread?

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 13:14:12

pick any meat stew type dish you fancy and put lentils in instead.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 14-Jul-08 13:16:33

thinking dahl's the way to go, omdb, thanks

really, kewcumber?? we do lentil-bolognese and lentil lasagne, but I can't imagine lentil Irish stew somehow [thick] - do you really just do it the same?

JackieNo Mon 14-Jul-08 13:17:46

Chicken and red lentil curry - have done this a fair few times - it's delicious. I like to stir in spinach near the end.

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 13:17:53

Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 13:19:13

nope wouldn't work for Irish stew as that used chunks of meat doesn't it?

But you could make a nice casserole with lentils and all the other ingredients for an irish stew I guess, onions and potatoes and stuff...

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 13:21:01

yes - of course it has differnt consistency but IME any meat stew can be used with pulses. It won;t be like the orginal but geenrally pretty good - does that make sense?

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 14-Jul-08 13:25:23

are either of those curries good and mild?

curry so far the one thing ds has thrown over highchair tray wholesale

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 13:28:34

lol

Just cut down on the spices and leave out any chillie from the recipe if you want them mild.

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 13:29:35

if you leave out the curry powder from the sweet potato one I recon your DS will eat it.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 14-Jul-08 13:31:57

funny thing is he's fine with cumin and ginger in other things!

will try that sweet potato curry, thanks that looks good. (loving "treehugger.com" too - wonder if there's a "lentilweaver.com" as well grin)

jackie couldn't get that link to work, could you try again please?

JackieNo Mon 14-Jul-08 13:31:57

It's not too hot, but you could just cut right down on the curry powder and the cumin, and there's no extra chili in it.

JackieNo Mon 14-Jul-08 13:36:15

Strange about the link not working - it's from the Waitrose website. Here is is cut and pasted (I ignore the organicness and brands mostly, except for buying that particular curry powder, and bung in normal yoghurt rather than the soya one they suggest):

Ingredients
2 tbsp Meridian Organic Unrefined Sunflower Oil
2 organic onions, finely sliced
2 organic cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp Waitrose Organic Curry Powder
1 tsp Waitrose Organic Whole Cumin
1 pack Waitrose Organic British Free Range Fresh Mini Chicken Fillets
500ml hot Kallo Organic Chicken Stock
175g organic dried red lentils
6 tbsp Alpro Soya Organic Plain Dairy Free Alternative To Yogurt (find in the chiller cabinet with yogurts)
50g Waitrose Organic Cashews, unsalted, to garnish

Method
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the garlic and spices, and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Add the remaining oil and the chicken, and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until coated in the spice mixture. Stir in the stock and lentils, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Stir in the soya yogurt and cover, then simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick frying pan and toast the cashew nuts for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly until they are golden brown in colour.
Spoon the curry into individual bowls with basmati rice, and top with the toasted cashew nuts.

Cook's tips
For a vegetarian alternative, at Step 2, swap the chicken for chopped vegetables such as cauliflower, sweet potato or butternut squash and cook until tender. You could also stir in organic spinach when you add the soya.

christiana Mon 14-Jul-08 13:41:00

Message withdrawn

thehairybabysmum Mon 14-Jul-08 13:46:17

i made a really nice red lentil and aubergine curry the other week.

christiana Tue 15-Jul-08 09:18:14

Message withdrawn

Papillon Tue 15-Jul-08 09:20:33

Macaroni cheese

boil up the red lentils and then mix them into the macaroni

magic

Also have excellent recipe for kofta balls that have red lentils in... will find it and be back in a sec..

Papillon Tue 15-Jul-08 09:23:38

Kofta Balls - red lentil and bulghar wheat

http://www.stuttercut.org/hungry/archives/recipes/000591.php

dd has them regularly in her kindergarten lunch box.. and loves them... especially with abit of tomato sauce.

thehairybabysmum Tue 15-Jul-08 21:59:58

sorry...its basically soften onion and peppers, add some curry paste stuff. Add tin of tomatoes, lentils and aubergine. Add water and cook. Stir in a packet of coconut cream until melted. Then serve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now