Talk

Advanced search

microwafe ideas please

(8 Posts)
markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 10:41:45

To cut a long story short my young son will be flying the nest to work away. He will only have a microwave and fridge, (I am not sure at this point if the fridge has a freezer compartment or not), but we will be taking a toaster and a steamer

He will be living out in the country and so will only be able to get to the supermarket (Morrisons) on a Friday.

Have you any ideas on quick things that he could microwave. Have thought of the usual scrambled eggs, beans on toast but as I only use my microwave for porridge and warming up custard my knowledge on what can and can't be done is limited.

It will hopefully only be for about three to four weeks as if he likes the job and wants to stay we will be buying one of those mini ovens with the rings on the top so he can then do more things like cook spaghetti and pasta and will also get a table top freezer so things should be a lot easier, its just the first couple of weeks that I'm trying to sort.

Would appreciate any ideas you may have

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 10:47:41

Microwave recipes here

zippitippitoes Mon 14-Jul-08 10:50:22

id get one of those cheap grill pans to go with it....the one with that blokes name that cost about 15 quid

OverMyDeadBody Mon 14-Jul-08 10:51:27

a George Foreman grill? Yes that's a good idea zippi

FabioTheLiterateCat Mon 14-Jul-08 10:51:52

I do fish in the microwave - though he could also use the steamer for that.
Does the microwave def not have an oven too?

RBH Mon 14-Jul-08 10:58:37

Can you get to a Lidl's on the 17th? They have toaster ovens on special offer then which are the size of a microwave but can grill and bake. Here you go!

Sorry, can't help with microwave recipes as am useless with them, hence the fact I opened this thread as was hoping for ideas!

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 11:01:41

No I don't think so - was told by the gaffer's wife that it was a microwave and that the young lad that was leaving (my son is taking his place) had got one of those George Foreman gills - are they any good I don't have one.

Thanks Fabio - he loves fish so he could get a bit of fish on the friday and steam it perhaps.

OMDB will have a look at the microwave recipes.

does anyone know if Morrisons have a discount range like Tesco Value or Asda Smartprice?

markiedarlin Mon 14-Jul-08 11:05:27

RBH - thanks for that - have had a quick look. the grill and bake oven looks good I did look in the Argos they have one with two cooking rings on the top (alhtough its a lot more)so will do a bit of comparisonl

but will deff go to get some of the micro containers etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now